Installing a video projector (wiring behind Plasterboard)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been lucky enough to hvae been purchased a video projector for my home and would like to have a permanant installation for it. I was hoping to carry out the instalation of the wiring myself, the projector ideally will be fixed to the wall or hung from the ceiling. The wall where it will be hung has a ring main which I was hoping to take a spur from and use a FSU preferably next to the projector...how would I go about running the cable from the ring main from the bottom of the wall to the top/into the ceiling? What is the best way to get into the wall? Also I will need to run a few video signal cables from the opposite side of the room, these naturally would all need to be hidden either in the ceiling or follow the room around to the other side.

DSC_0058-1.jpg

Your help will be greatly appreciated, I understand for this type of work I would not need any kind of certificate for the instalation so i'm ok to be doing this as a diy project?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
I appreciate that there is no magic to getting wires from point to point but would like to know the way a electrician would go about it! :LOL:

The prefered way would be to lift the floor above, and drop a feed down from there if the ring runs in that void (i'd try to avoid taking a feed from the upstairs ring though, while acceptable if the labeling on the fuses reflects this, its better not to), or lift the floor in this room and bring the feed from the ring upwards if it runs below

Another solution would be to take it sideways from the socket you have, to an FCU at floor level in line with the projector, and then vertical upwards from the load terminals of that to a flex outlet plate behin the projector.

The signal cables would be best routed in either the floor or ceiling void

Perfect, just what I was looking for, if I chase out the screed floor, how far do you recomend I go down?

Thanks again :D

Sponsored Links
I was assumming you had a wooden floor.... DOH.... in that case, things will have to in the void above the ceiling (best way), or run horz. to FCU and then vert. to projector location from socket, and try and do something with the signal cables

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back