Spur from wall socket to ceiling

Apart from the energy saved in a multi projector establishment by switching off, it may prevent a fire by the simple action of switching off. When I was on holiday last month I unplugged all but essential equipment, without using a broom ;)

Sponsored Links
Although having an accessible switch is clearly highly desirable, I'm not sure that it has to be in an FCU. If all that is at the end of the cable is a single socket (into which a fused plug will be plugged) that downstream fuse will normally be enough to allow one to feed the socket with 'smaller cable' (albeit never <1.5mm²) whether or not there is an FCU).

Kind Regards, John

What if someone plugs a welding set into the socket :whistle:

What if someone plugs a welding set into the socket :whistle:
Well, there's someone else here you should probably be asking that :)

However, if the welding set had a 13A fuse in its plug, then 1.5mm² cable would still be fine (and regs-compliant).

Kind Regards, John

Well, there's someone else here you should probably be asking that :)

However, if the welding set had a 13A fuse in its plug, then 1.5mm² cable would still be fine (and regs-compliant).

Kind Regards, John

It may be but not in my world

Sponsored Links
Just my way of doing things, I only carry SFCUs or FCUs as stock in the van, I always fit local isolation despite the proximity of a handy broom, always fit clear labels and still the teachers leave them switched on for the summer hols, call it belt and braces if you want ;)

Just my way of doing things, I only carry SFCUs or FCUs as stock in the van, I always fit local isolation despite the proximity of a handy broom, always fit clear labels and still the teachers leave them switched on for the summer hols, call it belt and braces if you want ;)
Fair enough. I fully understand the desire for an accessible switch, and would certainly fit one myself in the situation we are discussing. If your only reason for using an SFCU, rather than a switch, is because that's all you have in your van, then fair enough.

However, do I take it that, despite what you appeared to be saying, you agree that the fuse in a FCU is not necessary to permit the use of 'smaller' (I presume you meant 1.5 mm²) cable, if all that's on the end of the cable is a single socket (and even if someone plugs welding kit into it!)?

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back