What type of switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi atm I have a spur coming off the attic ring which comes into the living room ceiling for power to a projector, this is controlled by a switched fused spur on the ceiling.
Now I want to use the same supply but bring it from the attic straight down the wall into a switch of some sort then back up to the projector so I can switch it off at the wall rather than the ceiling. So what do I need to achieve this on and off at the wall and what would you recommend at the end for connecting the projector power .
Thanks so

Sponsored Links
Okay but would need a junction box of some type to connect the plug to or cut the plug of and connect to the end of the twin earth cable Should have said switch will not be right next to projector

The outlet plate is the junction box - it has terminals on the back to connect the T&E and the projector cable together.

Sponsored Links
Okay but would need a junction box of some type to connect the plug to or cut the plug of and connect to the end of the twin earth cable Should have said switch will not be right next to projector
If you have a 13A plug on the projector, fit a 13A socket on the ceiling but be aware of how much flex to 'lose'.

But what's there at the moment?

What you are planning would mean a lot of cable chasing in to the wall, followed by making good, decorating, etc.

I suggest that you use a wireless switch and receiver, such as the Quinetics. Size of receiver will depend on the power requirements of the projector.
Perhaps one of these switches
https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/QUWS1W.html
and a receiver
https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/QUR305.html

The receiver goes up in the ceiling where the projector plugs in. The switch goes anywhere. You can also switch on using an app on smartphone or by Alexa, etc.

Last edited:
If you have a 13A plug on the projector, fit a 13A socket on the ceiling but be aware of how much flex to 'lose'.

But what's there at the moment?
I have a switched fuse spur with the plug from the projector cut off and the flex trimmed back to length on the ceiling

In that case Flameport or Taylors solutions.

I'm assuming you wish to power down rather than leaving it on standby and can't reach the FCU. How about a cord pull switch to save chasing the wall?

In that case Flameport or Taylors solutions.

I'm assuming you wish to power down rather than leaving it on standby and can't reach the FCU. How about a cord pull switch to save chasing the wall?
Never thought about a pullcord also thought about just wiring a socket and using a smart plug to switch on/off

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back