Turning electric socket into a switch for another socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a single socket high up on a wall (most likely for a tv to plug into). The floor above this is the attic.

I would like to ceiling mount a projector but dont want cable/leads to be seen.

Am I able to:

replace the socket in the wall with a switched fused connection unit, put a 13A junction box up in the attic to bridge the ring and also from this connect the switched fused connection unit and a socket in the attic, so that the switch in the wall turns off power to the socket above the ceiling?

Thanks

Jonny

Sponsored Links
Is the socket live already? where is this being fed from?

Yes the socket is connected and live - it is part of the main ring so has 2 cables feeding it from the attic feeding it ?

Am I able to:
replace the socket in the wall with a switched fused connection unit,
Yes.
put a 13A junction box up in the attic
If you want. Why not a socket?
to bridge the ring
and also from this connect the switched fused connection unit and a socket in the attic, so that the switch in the wall turns off power to the socket above the ceiling?
Don't understand that bit.

Socket FCU >>>> socket - to plug in projector.

What could be simpler.

Sponsored Links
so FCU will have two cables (ie the ring), then on one of these cables if I add a socket - when the FCU is off, will that not break the entire ring and turn all sockets off?

I think I get what you want to do now. So, the ring cables going in/out of the socket will be changed to supply and load in the FCU ? In the loft you will cut into those two cables and 1 will now go into the junction box maintaining the ring and extending to the FCU) and the other to a double socket? Do you really need an FCU? If not then just leave the socket on the wall and add a double socket on the ring in the loft.

Last edited:
No. He can just spur from the new FCU which is replacing a socket.

It will not affect the ring - if you do it properly.

I assumed he wouldn't be able to feed a fresh cable to the socket/FCU and it was likely plastered in but probably should of asked :confused:

I assumed he wouldn't be able to feed a fresh cable to the socket/FCU and it was likely plastered in but probably should of asked :confused:
Oh. If he can't do that then he won't be able to do what he wants.

so FCU will have two cables (ie the ring), then on one of these cables if I add a socket - when the FCU is off, will that not break the entire ring and turn all sockets off?
You put the ring cables together in the FCU (as they are in the socket) and a new cable from the load side,

If there's no real reason to needing a FCU in the room, I would leave the switch as it is and add a double socket in the loft like EFL said. If you need remote power control then use a smart socket or energy saver extension etc...

Yes.

If you want. Why not a socket?

Don't understand that bit.

Socket FCU >>>> socket - to plug in projector.

What could be simpler.

Double pole switch>>socket>projector.

You don't need or desire 2 fuses in line (one in the FCU and one in the plug).

Why not either leave the socket, and spur from it, or replace it with a JB, and spur from it.

I cannot for the life of me think why a switch is needed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back