Installing a replacement RSJ and setting Padstones

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I wonder if anybody could give me some advice and tips on the method of installation of a replacement RSJ and padstones.
I live in a victorian house with a traditional layout with the kitchen at the back of the house. It was extended to the side around 10 years ago using RSJ's spanning between the end walls and a pillar in the middle.
My plans are to replace the 2 span arrangement with a single span by removing the central pillar and replacing the 2 smaller RSJ's with a larger one. I have the design calculations for the new beam and padstones but i would like some tips on how to install them. The new beam has a larger section than the existing and as it carries more load the padstones need to be larger. I have looked at using ACRO props with Strongboy attachments to carry the existing wall when i move the beams but when i install the padstone the mortar should be left to cure for 28 days and i dont really want the expense of hiring the equipment for such a long time. Does anybody know if there is a way to get around this problem? Also, should the new RSJ be bolted to the padstone to prevent lateral movement? Does anybody know of the best lifting equipment to get the RSJ into position - it weighs over 250kg's - i have looked at using 2 Genie lifts?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
sorry to momentarily hijack you thread, can I tag on the end with a wee ask? ta.

I am putting 3 RSJs up over a 3.5m span tomorrow, they will be butted next to one another. Similar to OPs question - should they be secured to padstones/tied in to one another or will the load of the wall that they are supporting (not to meniton their own considerable weight!) be sufficent to ensure there is no lateral movement one in place?

Thanking you :)

The load normally keeps them in place, unless they are side by side and they should be bolted together with m12 studding and nuts with spacers in between.

As to the op leave to cure question, we (as builders) would put the RSJ's on after 2 days but making a very strong mix for the padstones, (you are going for insitu pads as opposed to solid engineering bricks?.) I have put them on the next day if time is tight :oops:

Sheer determination, thats what you need to get them in place! No right way, just get them in, dont matter how (as long as its safe!). You could build the pier without the padstone, rest RSJs on top of piers, wind up acrows under beam and get nice tight fit to wall above then shutter and pour pads under beams.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back