Installing an electric heater 2.2 m up on bathroom wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to install an electric fan heater or element heater about 2.2 m up on a bathroom wall. The heater will be placed on an opposing wall to where the bath and sink are situated. It would be 1.7 m horizontally from the nearest corner edge of the bath and 1.6m higher than the top of bath. It would also be 1.4 m horiz away from the nearest sink edge but 1.5 m higher.

I wish to drill a hole in the wall to where the side of the heater wll be, through the red brick and plaster wall into the landing cupboard next to the bathroom, where there is an unused FCU for a removed immersion heater. I believe Iwill need another FCU next to the heater.

The existing FCU is supplied by a dedicated 2.5mm sq twin core and earth cable from the consumer unit. This cable is 14m long.

The bathroomh is limestone floor tiled.
My questions:
1. Would my heater positioning satisfy the relevant zoning regulations and if not how could it?
2. Does the cable fed through the drilled hole in wall have to have any conduiting?
3. The existing FCU is 1.5 m high. I need to extend the cable approx 4 mtres inside the cupboard and negotiate the 2 interior corners and a water pipe using 'trunking'. Can I route it how I like so long as its in horizontal or vertical runs? 4. The heater will be 2kW, what fuse sizes should be used in both FCU?

Sponsored Links
Firstly, so long as your heater is more than 0.6m away from the edge of your bath/shower then it will be fine.

Pesonally I'd go for a 2kW downflow heater and mount it at the manufacturers recommended height!

Secondly, the cable does not have to be in conduit going through the wall, but if there is insulation in the wall it would be advisable.

Thirdly, If your cables are surface clipped or in conduit mounted on the surface of the wall (not burried) then you can run the cables any way you want - the cable zones do not apply, it would be good practice though to run the cable via the neatest route though.

Also I'd replace the FCU for a RCD FCU as all circuits that enter a bathroom need to have RCD protection, you will also have to supplementary bond this circuits CPC if the other circuits do not have RCD protection.

The existing circuit comes from a new consumer unit with rcd protection on all circuits except lighting. Is it still best to put in an rcd fcu? Do I install this beside the heater or is it ok to replace the existing one in the cupboard or do I have to have both? Lastly, what is supplementar bonding on the circuits CPC?

All best
Jock

The existing circuit comes from a new consumer unit with rcd protection on all circuits except lighting. Is it still best to put in an rcd fcu? Do I install this beside the heater or is it ok to replace the existing one in the cupboard or do I have to have both? Lastly, what is supplementar bonding on the circuits CPC?

All best
Jock

How old is this new CU and do you have any certificates for it???

Sponsored Links
Hello I am doing a similar job and was wondering can the RCD FCU be next to the heater inside the bathroom or should it be outside and flex fed through the wall to the heater, also can it be an element heater or does it have to be a fan? Also I am right it thinking that if it is over 2.25m you can have switchs and current using equipment in the bathroom? I am qualified but im new to domestic work. Any info would be appreciated

woodso wrote -
Hello I am doing a similar job and was wondering can the RCD FCU be next to the heater inside the bathroom or should it be outside and flex fed through the wall to the heater
1. I hope you are not attempting to charge for this work if asking for help on a diy forum
I am qualified but im new to domestic work
2. Qualified in what? All cabling work follows the same principles domestic/commercial and industrial, What did you learn on your apprenticship?
Oh and should I make the FCU part of the ring or should it be a spur off the ring?
3. Your the one signing the test cert for the design of the install, what do you think?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back