Installing an outside tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just had a conservatory built and now need to remove the outside tap and fit a new one. The best place is from the front WC, I guess the pipe under the sink.

We had a plumber out who said it was a really easy job and then quoted £200 but I see the self fitting kits in screwfix, B & Q etc.

Any recommendations and are they that easy? It seems they are self tapping so does that mean I dont need to turn off the water supply or cut into the pipe myself?

Any advice is much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
The B&Q kits are crap, that price is probably fair but get a couple more quotes, make sure when installed it has a double check valve, isolation point and the tap can be drained of all water when its switched off in winter (ie drainoff or backplate elbow with a street elbow facing downwards)

If your wc is fed from a storage tank in the loft rather than by mains pressure your outside ntap may not have much flow/pressure when connected to a hose. Sink will be mains pressure.

Kits are not as good as full bore plumbing as they use a smaller bore flexible pipe but are relatively simple to install without turning off the supply and contain a check valve.

The DIY kits are ok up to a point. Your plumber would be including a double check valve, isolation valve and drainoff point. He may also be including pipework in copper, and trunking through the wall. The DIY kits don't have all of these elements, and the self tapping fitting will most likely decrease the water flow to the tap.

Although the job is easy in plumbing skills terms, he will have seen what the job actually entails. By the sound of it he is charging you the best part of a full day's labour which is fine from where he's standing, but not from yours obviously. Since he wants to charge this, you may be able to negotiate other jobs that need to be doing around the house and that he can fit in while he's there, with you paying for any relevant parts.

Sponsored Links
The pipe to be used will be from the sink sorry not WC so will be mains fed. We may put a temp kit in for now until we get a bit more cash as just built a conservatory.

There will very little pipework as the toilet has an outside wall right next to the sink.

We will get a few more quotes though.

i always advocate professionals charge a fair price and earn a decent wage, but £200 for an outside tap is not a fair price, material will cost £20-30 tops, add 1hr labour plus travel, and add a bit for wear and tear on the drill bit, ( a decent 22-25mm bit, to allow for the 15mm pipe to be sleeved, in a decent power drill is adequate)

i always advocate professionals charge a fair price and earn a decent wage, but £200 for an outside tap is not a fair price, material will cost £20-30 tops, add 1hr labour plus travel, and add a bit for wear and tear on the drill bit, ( a decent 22-25mm bit, to allow for the 15mm pipe to be sleeved, in a decent power drill is adequate)
Maybe he didn't fancy the job.

What you need is a local apprentice plumber who does these little jobs @ weekends for some beer money - like I did :idea: Bugger, forgot there aren`t any apprentices now :LOL:

Well I got a 2nd quote of £70-100 plus he will plug off the old tap so he is booked in for Monday!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back