Installing bath shower mixer taps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help needed please. I'm replacing 30 year old taps in a cast iron bath and installing new a new set of bath shower mixer taps.

I cannot shift the top nut on the old taps to,take them off. It appears there is no washer in place, and it has possibly been tack soldered,in place.

I can remove the bottom connection to the pipes ok with a bit of work.

Any ideas on how to move the top nut to remove the tap?

Also my stopcock spindle broke off a couple of days ago. Is it easy to replace or will I definitely need a plumber?

Thanks.[/b]

Sponsored Links
Broken stop-cock, call a plumber and get that replaced. Then you can play with the bath taps knowing that you will not flood the place.

Andy

I agree i need a plumber for the stopcock, but i can shut the water off to the taps via a shut off valve in the bathroom cupboard so they should be separate issues?

Thanks

What tool are you using? Chances are that it'll be some old plumbers mait that has gone rock solid which is part of the problem. Best tool for much leverage is a box spanner. ;)

Sponsored Links
I am using a telescopic plumbing wrench but it is not really gripping/slipping. I agree it could be solid plumbers mait.

Is there anything that dissolves plumbers mait or that can help with it, like wd40 loosens things.( I have tried wd40 already).

Thanks

The assumes that you're OK shifting the supply pipes out of the way!

That's a good point. I can get the pipes out of the way I think but the length of the tap underside may be too much to put this over it.

Perhaps what I suggested may be a safer option?

The length of the tap tail won't be a problem. If worse comes to worse, how confident are you about cutting the pipes and re-joining them, which might be necessary anyway if the new taps have tails of a different length and you need to adjust the pipework in length?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back