Installing blinds inside a window frame

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok I'm new to the forum but have used it for reference so many time. So here's my first question.

I'm trying to install a Venetian blind to the inside of my kitchen window having just moved.

I've always installed my own blinds either to a baton already installed or into Woden window frames.

This time due to the vents on the new PVC window I decided I would just install the brackets directly into the wall abound the window sill.

I drilled in to the wall and I seemed to drill through the plaster then into a void full of some kind of insulation then it seemed like a breeze block!

Arhhhhhhhh........

And the hole I was left with was terrible and big!,,,

Now I'm really not sure what to do? I've never had a problem like this?

Any suggestions would be greatly received. I was thinking about putting a baton up first with maybe some kind of adhesive?

Thanks kindly in advance. :confused:

Oh and I have to do all of this stretched over the sink on a ladder! nighmare.

Sponsored Links
I've dealt with plasterboard before and I'm quite sure this isn't, it was much harder to drill through? It seems like plaster. It's just the small void that I'm confused about?

Sponsored Links
There's obviously a bit of dry lining there (plasterboard onto timber studs) but do clarify things for us?
Are you trying to fix into the window head (the top) or the sides of the reveal?
If you've met fresh air into the head area then it could be sorted with a timber batten and window anchors (Screwfix 53501 for example).
Unlike frame fixings, these are drilled into a specified depth, and then tightened with a screwdriver......they can span a void without problems.
8mm diameter is the size you could use, rather than the more common 10mm.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back