Installing cavity trays for pitched roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Changing our flat roof on our garage to a pitched one.

Couple of builders have said we should install cavity trays and another said we shouldn't bother and save the money as they're expensive to fit.

I'm inclined to get them fitted.

The length of our wall is 8.5m. Could someone give me a rough idea of the additional charge to install cavity trays while we get a new pitched roof. I just want to know if we're talking £100-200 or £1000 as I have no idea.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The roofers will tell you prices, I can tell you that if you were doing this under Building Regs an inspector would insist on one being fitted. You also need to consider the potential expense of not fitting one, the remedial costs could be far higher than having one fitted in the first place. IMO its a false economy to not fit one and even more so if its brick.

If the wall your joining is brick or stonework, then installing cavity trays will be a must.

It'll be in in the upper regions of your price guestimate

Get them fitted ..it'll likely come back and bite you if you dont..
Ask the builders how much, they have seen the job etc

Sponsored Links
Have a google at Cavity Trays of Yeoville :idea: you will see the type of individual ones you require for a stepped application - then guesstimate a lead saddle for the ridge . and again for time cutting out and inserting them . Don`t be tempted to go with something knocked up by a roofer/ builder - Those trays need to cascade water from one down to the next - I`ve been in a roof where they were "formed" from bent up bits of damp course : leaking in everywhere - 3 storeys up it wasn`t a cheap fix for the Housing Association that owned the block :rolleyes: Having said that - IF the roof is Leeward ( of the prevailing wind ) and sheltered , then I might not bother with them and just have a step flashing

There is absolutely nothing wrong in getting your builder/bricklayer/roofer whoever.. to knock up cavity trays out of lead.. very easy in fact ..obviously they need to be correctly fitted..not all ***** plumbers would know this though....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back