Installing extra socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I wish to add an extra socket, on a spur from an exisiting one, in my bedroom in my parents' house where I live(yes I am an adult ;)).

What exactly are the regulations regarding this? Is it OK to do it myself?

Also re the wireing, I don't want to have to dig holes in the wall or lift the fiitted capert and floorboards. Is it OK to run the cable along the surface of the wall, if so what precuations should I take? There is a radiator on the wall I wish to run the cable along.

Sponsored Links
you can spur off a socket provided that socket is not itself a spur

you can clip cables direct to the surface or use mini trunking if you dislike surface cable but the radiator may pose a tempreature issue and you really should avoid ogoing behind it

make sure the cuircuit is off
safety wise its best to use the main switch so that both live and neutral are isolated but i personally just switch off the mcb because of the disruption turing off the main switch causes

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I know the existing socket is not on a spur because I've checked. I was more referring to the regulations regarding who can and can not do electrical installations in a private dewelling.

Well installing a socket is, and for the foreseeable future allowed to be done by DIY in your private dwelling.

Soon Part P of the building regs will come into effect, making testing and notification to building control required, but that will be for new circuits etc, and will not apply to minor work, like adding a socket.

Sponsored Links
What about the house insurance? Would it be best to make sure it's ok with them first?

It'll be fine if it's done to regs. Some require some sort of certificate now and then, but generally you should be fine.

Bungle said:
What about the house insurance? Would it be best to make sure it's ok with them first?
If you're confident that you won't screw up and burn the place down, I'd advise you not to ask. What if they say no?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back