Spur sockets, or new ring?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys.
I have done some reading on here, and i would just like to check what i have read.
I have one double socket in the bedroom, i wish to add 3 more.
I have checked the cable behind the exisiting socket, and it is suitable to run a spur.
But, A spur, not 3.
So.
Someone wrote here once, that I can split the current double socket into 2 singles, and create a new ring around the room!
Can i take it that you would all agree?
Maximum length from socket to socket would be 4m
So would 2.5mm be ok?
I would be under floorboards passing cable through joists, at 50mm below floor depth.
Any more advice someone could give would be great.
thank you
Simon.
P.S. this is a bedroom, so.
Maybe would be running a small T.V., hair straightners, hair dryer. stuff like that.

Sponsored Links
You could split the socket into two doubles and still extend the ring final circuit.
You should use the same size conductor that is installed in the circuit at present.
So if it's 2.5mm use that if it's 4.00mm use 4.00mm.
Remember that the safe permitted distance to run cables through joist in the floor and ceiling void, is a minimum of 50mm from both floor and ceiling.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back