installing fridge and cooker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How can I connect a fridge and cooker to a socket on the wall that has two switches but only one plug?

Sponsored Links
Do you mean one of these?

MKK5040.jpg

Yes. At the moment I have a fridge on the socket. I use to have a gas cooker, but got an electric now.

That is a cooker control unit. The cooker should be directly wired into it and controlled by the switch marked (surprisingly enough) 'cooker'. In fact, the wiring may already be there - is there a plate somewhere below the switch unit that looks like this? If so, that is where your cooker cable should be connected.

If not, then it might be worth calling an electrician to sort it out.

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately there isn't one. Will I be able to just plug the cooker in the socket if it supplied with a plug?

PS. Sorry, but havent received my cooker yet and its the first time I'm going electric

If there is not a conduit buried in the wall from the rear of the unit, you will need to connect your cooker directly into it, and protect the cable with PVC conduit or Mini trunking.
If your not confident doing this yourself, get someone in,
I would reccommend that the circuit be fully tested, including earthing before connection of your cooker.
Think safety, not money :cry:

thanks. I will be able to do it myself. Any specific cabling that needs to be used or am I just using the cooker cabling and connecting it to the socket?

Just to be sure, JCGRAY didn't mean via a plug. If your cooker is all electric you will not be able to run it via a 13 A fused plug. The cooker control unit is designed so that the cooker is hard-wired into it with suitably rated cable. From the questions you've asked I honestly think you're out of your depth with this one.

tandal said:
Unfortunately there isn't one. Will I be able to just plug the cooker in the socket if it supplied with a plug?
It won't be...

PS. Sorry, but havent received my cooker yet and its the first time I'm going electric
So it's not too late to change your mind? Personal preferences and all that, but IMHO it is probable that if you're used to cooking on gas you will hate your electric hob...

Got my cooker this morning. Will try and connect it to the socket and if that doesn't work for some reason, call in the experts.

Thanks

Not into the socket using a 13A plug!!!! Wiring it into the 'cooker control unit'. Using the specified and correct cabling, supplied with the cooker.

Ah - perhaps you shouldn't have said "Will try and connect it to the socket".....

The ONLY cooking device that can definitely be safely run off a 13amp socket, is a domestic type of Microwave Oven.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back