Installing new eurolocks in upvc conservatory double doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please excuse the simplicity of this question, I'll admit in advance to being a bit of a diy dimwit :eek:

I want to replace two eurolocks in a pair of connected upvc doors. The instructions say to open the door, remove the retaining bolt and slide out the lock. Yep, that is easy on ONE of the two doors that lock together but not the other...

The other door has a upvc connecting piece about 60mm wide that runs the length of the door, held in by about 6 screws which screw into the edge of the frame of the other door. Needed to ensure no gap between the two doors. This piece covers the edge of the door, preventing access to the eurolock retaining bolt, so clearly has to be removed.

After removing the 6 screws I couldn't easily remove this connecting piece and don't want to force it for risk of breaking it.

Do I now need to slide this piece up off the door or should it simply pull away from the door frame?

There also appear to be 3-4 metal U shaped plates between this upvc piece and the door frame, any good tricks on how to keep these in place when refitting this piece?

Thanks...

Sponsored Links
They're just spacers, it could be that the bit you need to remove clips onto these ali spacers, make sure there are no other screws and give it a good tug from the top and work down

As crank said they do clip in a bit too. Use a flat screwdriver in from the top to lever it and get it started.

Its a good idea to pencil mark the height it fits on the door so it gos back in the exact same place

What I've done before if I've been lazy is to take the latch striker plate off and drilled a hole through the flying mullion level where that screw should be ;)

Sponsored Links
As crank said they do clip in a bit too. Use a flat screwdriver in from the top to lever it and get it started.

Its a good idea to pencil mark the height it fits on the door so it gos back in the exact same place

Thanks. I'm assuming that the existing screw holes should allow me to align it correctly.

What I've done before if I've been lazy is to take the latch striker plate off and drilled a hole through the flying mullion level where that screw should be ;)

I do that too sometimes :LOL:
Mainly when I'm fitting a temporary lock (lost keys etc) and I know I will have to do it again when the new locks arrive.

Thanks. I'm assuming that the existing screw holes should allow me to align it correctly.

mmm you can end up a few mm one way or the other as some of the screws are probably in at angles

Yeah best to shut the slave door and then offer the flying mullion in placing some packing underneath it while you screw it back on

Yeah best to shut the slave door and then offer the flying mullion in placing some packing underneath it while you screw it back on

Clearly every day IS a school day, as I didn't know that piece was called a flying mullion (although I had to go and look it up).

Thanks for the help!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back