Installing new wall lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I am planning to install two wall lights in my front room and have a couple of questions. I plan to do this by running a spur from a near by socket to a switched fuse connector using 2.5mm2 twin and earth. from this i will run a 1mm2 twin and earth to the light fitting. I will be doing the same thing again for the second light as running the second light fitting from a JB would be difficult without damaging the ceiling.

You've probably guessed im not an electrician, and i am planning this from a B&Q DIY book! Firslty does the above sound ok?

Also, the cable will only run vertical (first down from the socket then up at the point i want the light to be from under the florr boards), and i will enclose them in conduit. Is it easy to make an channel for the conduit using a bolster chisle? In the book it says i need a 3amp connector box, i could only find a 13amp. do they come in 3amp or does that just refer to the fuse i put in it?

Thanks for any input, dont worry i wont attempt this until im confident i know what im doing :) Im not as daft as this post probably makes me sound!

Sponsored Links
My advice would be do not bother, it is ging to look really naff with FCUs, buy a couple of table lamps instead

Is there any regulation preventing the spur cable running horizontally in the wall to the new fused switch and then from the switch vertically to the light?

Your not going to see the FCU any more than you will see a plug sicket at present. You can get fairly smart ones without the horrid red light etc now, they pretty much look identicle to a regular light switch unless you get close up. The switch will be down the side of the chimney breast near a couch so it will be the same as tunring on a lamp, only the wall lights will come on instead!

I'm now planning to run the 2.5 down under floor boards to a JB, then run the two lighting cables from here, so the switch will operate both lights.

Appart from you consmetic opinion (which i do value), is they anything else i should be aware of? Can i but the 13amp FCU and put a 3amp fuse in it?

Any comments are appreciated.

Regards

Ste

Sponsored Links
hmm... from reading other posts on here i guess it has to be by regulation, is that right?!?

Where do you usually see JB?

It will be accessible if you lift the carpet and a floor board - i guess its a question of whether thats is deemed accessible, and i would hazzard a guess that it would not be.

Where else could i put it if under the floor boards is deemed as not acceptable?

Install sfcu (for isolation) to ring main (2.5mm t/e to supply terminals. 1.5mm from load terminals) choose your route (keeping to the correct zones of course) for the 1.5 or 1.0mm t/e up to wall light locations, then I would install one of these below each wall light (I also use these behind wall lights to accomodate the chocblock connection),

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Boxes_and_Enclosures_Index/Flush_Boxes_1/index.html

Then use these switches,

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_In...essories/Wall_Switches_White_4_Arc/index.html

Use a 3 amp fuse in the sfcu

Nice touch, and a nice switch also ;)

Thanks for the advice i may use that. I am at a stage where i am just happy that i have managed to do something correct and it works, but i should pay a little more attention to detail and make it look professional (as well as working).

Also you raised a good point about a back box for the actual wall light. Is there a standard for wall lights or does it depend on what light you choose? I might be best getting the Mrs to choose the lights so i know what i am working with as apposed to just having two wires sicking out of some conduit.

Also you raised a good point about a back box for the actual wall light. Is there a standard for wall lights.

Depends on what type of wall light your going to use. I Use the architrave back box as it's narrower than most wall lights, so the lights straddle it nicely.
But if it's a light with a large base you could equally use a conduit box like this.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MT20BX1.html

Thanks mate!

I take it tlc-direct is a good site to order from?

Ill take some pics of the finnished project and frame them ;) (if it works)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back