INSTALLING OLD CRITTALLS INTO NEWBUILD

The conversion of a garage, or part of a garage, into habitable space will normally require approval under the Building Regulations.
Since 1 April 2002 building regulations have applied to all replacement glazing. The regulations apply to thermal performance and other areas such as safety, air supply, means of escape and ventilation.

An external window or door is a "controlled fitting" under the Building Regulations and as a result of this classification these Regulations set out certain standards to be met when such a window or door is replaced.

If you are to install windows and doors you should be aware that they need to comply with the requirements of the Building Regulations in relation to the amount of heat that can pass through the glass and framework, which is measured as a U-Value. This U-Value should not be exceeded.

Sponsored Links
Oh Lordy, yet another naysayer! Are you some sort of woke civil servant? Don't you realise that rules are there to be ignored? That they don't apply to everyone?

Ive fitted some secondary glazing inside some Crittal windows because I didn't want to disturb the stonework and they are small so didn't. want light reducing with thick frames. So far this winter theres been no condensation at all F461F23F-FD3A-4661-ADC4-3E56F8B2B055.jpegF461F23F-FD3A-4661-ADC4-3E56F8B2B055.jpeg

Last edited:
Yes secondary glazing will fit BUT not on a brand new , being built extension. It would be a building regulation fail to put old single glazed crittal windows in

Sponsored Links
what do I have to do to get building regs to accept the old CRITTALLS in a new build

Im a bit confused, that’s not the same as this:
It’s an external room that I’m building out of a brick garage

it sounds to me like you have a building which due to size needs building buildings but is not a habitable space so doesn’t need to comply with part L. Perhaps you could confirm, as it influences advice we might offer

Yes it’s permitted development.

I’m getting building control in (even though I don’t technically need too?) just to make sure I’m building it right….as long as everything else is up to scratch, then I’m happy. After 7 years, I could apply for a certicate of lawfulness anyway?

So is this permitted development for outbuildings?

If so, as I said above, for outbuildings you don’t need to comply with part L.

Personally I would steer clear of crittall windows, they are steel, so suffer condensation, they have no weather seals etc.

Your best bet is to search Facebook marketplace or eBay for 2nd hand upvc windows

I think it all hinges on what will this space be used for and will it be heated

Typically, habitable rooms provide the living accommodation of the dwelling. They include living room, dining room, study, home office, conservatory and bedrooms. They exclude the bathroom, WC, utility room, storeroom, circulation space and kitchen (unless it provides space for dining), my understanding is if its heated then its classed as habitable and if its habitable then it needs regs, happy to be corrected though

Close Crank..exactly right about what is classed as habitable but if its part of the main livable structure then it has to conform to regs. Porches , garages , outbuildings that are connected to the house maybe be subject to document L etc .If they have an EXTERNAL grade door and are NOT connected to the main house heating they are not deemed to be registrable under things such as Certass/Fensa. They are subject to every other Building Regulation relevant to the building...such as toughened glass etc

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back