INSTALLING OLD CRITTALLS INTO NEWBUILD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

Just as the title says- what do I have to do to get building regs to accept the old CRITTALLS in a new build.

Thanks

Mark

Sponsored Links
You would have to do a SAPs energy calculation of the whole house to prove the overall thermal efficiency is no less than following the elemental values in L1b 2022.

oh and compliance with egress, passive ventilation, risk of falling, glass safety etc.

If you want to replicate an Art Deco 1930s look you would better choosing a compliant aluminium product.

Sponsored Links
You would have to do a SAPs energy calculation of the whole house to prove the overall thermal efficiency is no less than following the elemental values in L1b 2022.

oh and compliance with egress, passive ventilation, risk of falling, glass safety etc.

If you want to replicate an Art Deco 1930s look you would better choosing a compliant aluminium product.
That’s all double Dutch to me.

It’s an external room that I’m building out of a brick garage. My archictect said install secondary glazing which will be fine.

Any ideas on that?

Cheers

You won't get building regs to accept old Crittal single glazed windows .. not a hope. Can't see building control accepting secondary glazing either just with the Crittal. And honestly new secondary glazing can be nearly as expensive as new windows. Stop scrimping buy a new window...if you can't afford that I'd be wondering where else you've scrimped and why you thought of building without the funds to do it correct. Sorry it may seem harsh

You won't get building regs to accept old Crittal single glazed windows .. not a hope. Can't see building control accepting secondary glazing either just with the Crittal. And honestly new secondary glazing can be nearly as expensive as new windows. Stop scrimping buy a new window...if you can't afford that I'd be wondering where else you've scrimped and why you thought of building without the funds to do it correct. Sorry it may seem harsh
Everybody wants to save- and recycling windows is a sensible thing!!!!

Since posting this, I’ve done a lot of research and you can put together secondary glazing EASILY!!!!!!

The trouble with this forum is it’s full of ney sayers and jobbing builders …. Things CAN be done sensibly at a low price!!!!!!

I'm not against recycling trust me...my sheds are full of stuff I'll use one day BUT building control should/will be looking for modern energy rated windows. Crittal single glazing and secondary glazing will NOT conform anywhere near the values needed.

I'm not against recycling trust me...my sheds are full of stuff I'll use one day BUT building control should/will be looking for modern energy rated windows. Crittal single glazing and secondary glazing will NOT conform anywhere near the values needed

What if I fit double glazed pains in?

You will need to prove the U value of the whole window.... and an old critall window with a double glazed unit still would not get anywhere near. You will also need trickle vents or another form of approved ventilation ( as of June 15 2022 ) . I think you need to speak to building Control or read up on relevant Building Regulations. The end of the day its Building Control you have to please. I'm guessing it's not gone through a planning application? Maybe permitted development?

You will need to prove the U value of the whole window.... and an old critall window with a double glazed unit still would not get anywhere near. You will also need trickle vents or another form of approved ventilation ( as of June 15 2022 ) . I think you need to speak to building Control or read up on relevant Building Regulations. The end of the day its Building Control you have to please. I'm guessing it's not gone through a planning application? Maybe permitted development?
Yes it’s permitted development.

I’m getting building control in (even though I don’t technically need too?) just to make sure I’m building it right….as long as everything else is up to scratch, then I’m happy. After 7 years, I could apply for a certicate of lawfulness anyway?

Regardless of whether building control is involved ( which you say you are doing ) , you still need to conform to Building regulations. It is an offence not to and carries a potential fine of £5000 for every building regulation fail...AND they can slap.an enforcement notice on it to either bring up to building regs or completely remove. For the cost of a new window vs the possible fine/repercussions I'd get a new window.
if you haven't already ( and im hoping you have ) can i suggest you read the relevant building regulations

Regardless of whether building control is involved ( which you say you are doing ) , you still need to conform to Building regulations. It is an offence not to and carries a potential fine of £5000 for every building regulation fail...AND they can slap.an enforcement notice on it to either bring up to building regs or completely remove. For the cost of a new window vs the possible fine/repercussions I'd get a new window.
if you haven't already ( and im hoping you have ) can i suggest you read the relevant building regulations
I’m going to take my chance with what building control say. If I gotta sling them, then so be it…. It’s worth a try!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back