installing old TRVs to new rad.s

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I think I'm being a bit slow here, but...
I'm replacing 2 rad.s, I have bought one new valve for each new rad., which come with suitable tails that fit into the rad.s. I am going to put my 2 existing Honeywell TRVs back on and I notice that both the in side and the out side are 15mm compression - how do I join the the TRVs to the new rad.s?

Sponsored Links
Use the tails from the old rads as they are matched to your existing valves. Simples.

I can see why you suggested that solution :) but the old tails didn't work. I know that sounds a bit odd, but bear with me. The thread sizes were OK but they wouldn't tighten up properly - they had a drain point and when the drain point was aligned properly i.e. pointing down, the other components were loose. I tried using PTFE tape and plumbers putty to stop the leaks but to no avail. The only time all the components were tight, the drain point was pointing skywards... !
I've seen a nice product available from Screwfix:
http://www.screwfix.com/p/radiator-compression-valve-tail-15mm-pack-of-2/10954
I think they'll do the trick!

Packing the old tails with PTFE would allow you to position the drain-offs correctly, it just takes a few extra turns and care when tightening.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back