What Would A Plumber Do?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm going to replace my cheap unbranded TRVs with reasonable quality 15mm compression angled Danfoss ones this weekend.

Which of the following do plumbers recommend (ie. what would they normally do);

1) Just fit the new TRVs to the existing radiator tails and olive/nut on pipe (with a smear of Boss White)

2) Also replace the radiator tail

3) Also replace the nut and olive on the pipe

4) Replace the radiator tail, as well as nut and olive on pipe

I've got ten to do, so don't want to do unnecessary work

Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
good reply, also a bit of ptfe tape if recycling the olive will help.

personally i prefer plumb centres jet blue to boss white as it is less messy and (it might be my imagination i admit) more reliable than boss white

just be triple sure to drain down fully and have old towels/ tupperware handy to save the carpets ;)

always change everything. If its in the box it gets fitted. Most valve nuts have already got lumps ripped out of them from the last pipe monkey that was swinging off them and won't look nice attached to your shiny new valve.

Sponsored Links
CHange everything, 5 minutes, probably less. A long job and a mess with the wrong tools though.

Ok, thanks for your replies.

Most say change everything. What are the right tools? I should be able to borrow what I need.

I would remove the olives as well and fit new ones, olive removing tool makes this fast !

couple of GOOD adjustables

poss a rad key

blowlamp (for the stubborn gits)

paste or tape :idea:

And a bottle of inhibitor. I'd flush the system out if I didn't know what had been inhibitor had been in there.

When using the same nut and olive on the pipe, make sure that the olive sits on the valve seat before the pipe bottoms in the valve. Keep a junior hacksaw handy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back