Installing outside lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an existing lighting circuit in the garage which has a fused spur which reduces the amps to the lighting circuit.

There are a few different lighting circuits but basically I want to add 2 extra up and down lights to the 2 existing up and down lights.

I have already prepared the wiring to link them up in parallel. However I have just thought... am I allowed to do this?
It’s a new build so I don’t want to do anything outside of regs. I have done some reading and it would seem this is no longer notifiable under part p?

On a side note... I ripped one of the grommets... can I use exterior sealant to fill the cable feed hole?

Sponsored Links
No longer (since 2013) notifiable in England.

Sealant ok. Probably better than a grommet to keep out water as well.

Has the Building Inspector already issued the Completion Certificate on this new build?

As always, thanks for the response EFL.

I agree, never get a decent fit on the grommets especially when pulling 2 cables in. The one installed by the house builder which I joined into was split too.

How come they removed the requirement? Too many people like me doing (what should be) simple work.

Sponsored Links
How come they removed the requirement? Too many people like me doing (what should be) simple work.
I don't know why they did it - also removing a lot of the requirements which involved the people for whom it was specifically intended - kitchen fitters etc.

You may very well think it was lobbying from the big companies but I couldn't possibly comment.

Still the original in Wales.

Right well thanks all for the comments, I better crack on and fit these lights.

All done ✅
AE3A894B-F499-40CD-9826-DAB92E545BCF.jpeg

Actually have another question....

B2B03050-9411-47E3-B883-61E520004EF1.jpeg

I don’t have a copy of BS7671, but how can the installation be inspected and certificated if I install it? Like what can you do wrong?

(y)

As you installed it, you are supposed to test it before energising to ensure things you probably have never heard of are compliant.

Hmm I thought this was where it was going.. I better ask an electrician to come and inspect and certify the work then...

I did this years ago and an electrician walked in, said yeah looks like you know what you’re doing and made me feel like I was wasting his time. He didn’t want to take my money?

I’m only adding 2 cables and 2 lights to an existing circuit so apologies, I thought this would be well within my capability and low risk, although if I can’t certify it it’s a bit pointless.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back