Installing outside lights

I appreciate that and glad you have. I will disconnect the new lights from the circuit and wait for an electrician to inspect... is that reasonable? Or should I just take it all out?

Sponsored Links
I better ask an electrician to come and inspect and certify the work then...
Entirely unrealistic, and not likely to happen.

The concept is that the person installing it does the inspection as it's being installed - to ensure that among other things cables are not damaged, wires are properly connected, light fittings are secured to the wall, manufacturer's instructions are followed, and so on.

Once the installation is fully installed, and before it's connected to the supply, certain tests are done and the results recorded on a certificate. Such as those to confirm that the CPC (earth wire) is connected at each point, the resistance between conductors is high enough (low would indicate damage or moisture), and items such as switches are properly connected.

It's then connected to the supply and some other tests are done to confirm that RCDs are working as intended, loop impedance is what would be expected, etc.
Those are also added to the certificate. It's generally useful to then confirm that things like lights do actually work as intended.

Doing all of the above without inspection or testing and then calling someone to do it for you is entirely futile - they can only inspect what is visible, and would have to dismantle most of it to examine anything concealed such as inside light fittings, cables that are in ceilings, inside walls, under floors and anywhere else.
Some tests can be done - but most tests need to be done before it's connected to the supply to avoid danger. Some of them should be done before anything is installed, to confirm the existing supply or circuit is suitable.

I will disconnect the new lights from the circuit and wait for an electrician to inspect... is that reasonable? Or should I just take it all out?
Too late.

The reality is that although all electrical installation work should be inspected and tested by those installing it, DIY work never is and never will be.

Hi flameport, thanks for your contribution.

I don’t see asking someone to inspect it and certify as futile. I’ve installed 2 cables and 2 lights, very accessible and very simple. If an electrician won’t do it I’ll rip it out and pay them to do it.

I’m trying to ascertain what is the correct process here, yes, I may have already done some of the work/inspection, but I’m happy to do what I need to make it right.

As above. The absolutely correct process is for you to use a competent electrician to install the thing. For him/her the carry out the appropriate tests on the work that has been done. To document the tests and to record them on the appropriate installation certificate (a minor works cert, in your case). The signature on the certificate states that the work done by the electrician conforms to BS7671. The wiring regulations.

That is the correct process.

Back in the real world this is unlikely to happen. I'm not going to be liked for this, but you will be hard pressed to find an electrician who can be bothered to do all that paperwork just to install a couple of lights on an existing circuit. It would double the time (at your cost) for the job.
And especially, given the mountain of work that is waiting for electricians when they do get back to work after lockdown, there are two things that will be at the bottom of their long list of work:

1. Re-installing a couple of outside lights and doing the paperwork for it or
2. Inspecting a couple of lights that a DIYer has installed themselves, and writing an existing installation report. You'll not get an electrician to cert your work.

Quite honestly, I would leave it all nicely working for now. If you really want to try and find someone to undertake 1 or 2 above, good luck. Better to wait until there's electricians who have nothing to do, and there's a vaccine for the virus.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Taylortwocities,
So I’m fully aware now that I don’t have the correct equipment for to test everything I should, and that’s my mistake in doing the work.

Like you said, and I tried to infer it in an earlier post, I have asked for small work before and been told to do it myself or told they’ll get back to me and never do. I’m sure that’s just my experience though.

I’ll hold out for someone to come and redo the work in the uncertain future (the electrical element anyway) as it wouldn’t take me long to strip it back. I’ve got a few numbers from friends today for electricians.

I’ll be sure to ask if they are going to provide a MWC.

As always, thanks for the response EFL.

I agree, never get a decent fit on the grommets especially when pulling 2 cables in. The one installed by the house builder which I joined into was split too.

How come they removed the requirement? Too many people like me doing (what should be) simple work.
Try the shaped grommet they are much better and less likely to pull out
rubber-super-grommets-20mm-open-pvc-x-100-2785-p.jpg

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back