outside light breaking all the rules?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a feeling I'm going to be shot down for this but just want to double check that the following proposal is unsafe or not:

So there is already in the loft a socket run from a 5 amp lighting circuit (ouch!)
I already have a lot of 0.5mm flex and a 400-500watt outside light.

I think this is notifiable (ouch2) but thinking about running fitting a 3amp plug to a length of that flex, running it via the soffit to the outside wall and into the outside light. Then plugging it in to the existing (presumably non-compliant socket). That socket isn't used for anything else. "Of course" (ahem) there is a circuit breaker protecting that circuit at the consumer unit...

Would I be breaking every rule in the book or would it be broadly safe?

Sponsored Links
socket run from a 5 amp lighting circuit - The danger is lost of lighting because of overload. There is a danger when we lose lights but in theroy the MCB should protect as to electrical overload.

0.5mm flex - Yes today 0.75 is minimum size as to danger it depends on fuse size. Since now not allowed can't find current ratting in the regs.

400-500watt outside light - clearly well over the 150W maximum, it depends on if anyone reports it as to danger of council inspector visiting.

So when already breaking the rules adding another lamp is likely to draw attention to what you are doing, you clearly know it breaks the rules, what do you expect us to say, clearly we are not going to say carry on no problem as clearly it is. So what is really your question? Or are you just boasting about how many rules you can break without being caught?

socket run from a 5 amp lighting circuit - The danger is lost of lighting because of overload. There is a danger when we lose lights but in theroy the MCB should protect as to electrical overload.

0.5mm flex - Yes today 0.75 is minimum size as to danger it depends on fuse size. Since now not allowed can't find current ratting in the regs.

400-500watt outside light - clearly well over the 150W maximum, it depends on if anyone reports it as to danger of council inspector visiting.

So when already breaking the rules adding another lamp is likely to draw attention to what you are doing, you clearly know it breaks the rules, what do you expect us to say, clearly we are not going to say carry on no problem as clearly it is. So what is really your question? Or are you just boasting about how many rules you can break without being caught?

Many thanks for reply and certainly not boasting or at least didn't mean to be. Your answer already told me things I didn't know and that is exactly what I was hoping for asking the question - e.g. 150watt lamp is maximum. I'm not sure what to do about that - I've just bought 2 500watt lamps 8-(
I also didn't know flex had to be 0.75mm. As above the plug would be 3amp so I thought that might be okish. Think I'll look into getting some 1mm flex.

Sponsored Links
I think that the maximum wattage is to do with Part L building regulations you can go higher but need permission from council so flood lights at a football ground would need planning consent.

What seems so crazy is watts rather than lumen so a flood light with 15000 lumen would be far brighter than a quartz 150 watt lamp but to date still allowed.

0.5 mm² cable is allowed for control circuits as to why not allowed for power don't know. As you say was rated as 3 amp.

0.5 mm² cable is allowed for control circuits as to why not allowed for power don't know. As you say was rated as 3 amp.
It's also allowed if it's part of a multi-core cable of 7 or more cores, or for specific appliances if specified in the relevant product standard.
Although, as above, there are not many things one is now allowed to use it for, you could find the current rating for 0.5mm² flex if you just looked at Table 4F3A, and it's still 3A.

Kind Regards, John

Also there is no such thing as a 3 amp plug. There are 2 amp, 5 amp, 13 amp and 15 amp that are found in domestic properties but these days mostly 13 amp and that shouldn't be on a lighting circuit.

Why not just get some 1.0 mm2 cable, and remove the socket? Perhaps a double pole switch instead would be best, to provide isolation. I assume this is some kind of PIR fitting?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back