outside light wirring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there
i am wanting to put some extra lights outside, i already have a live plug socket outside with the armoured cable running to the extra lights but not connected,

can i therefore take the live from the plug to a switch which would then operate the lights

thanks for your help
Ivan

Sponsored Links
Do you mean have a permanently connected plug with a flex to a weatherproof switch and terminate the SWA there?

This work sounds to me like it is part of a special installation and is notifiable to your LABC under Part P of the building regulations. You may be better getting a competent electrician in to do the work: http://www.competentperson.co.uk/search.asp

Do you mean have a permanently connected plug with a flex to a weatherproof switch and terminate the SWA there?

This work sounds to me like it is part of a special installation and is notifiable to your LABC under Part P of the building regulations. You may be better getting a competent electrician in to do the work: http://www.competentperson.co.uk/search.asp[/QUOTE]
hi there
the plug is already there permanently connected, the armoured cable is also there ready to be connected, i have put a weather proof switch next to the plug, and want to use this to power two bulk head lights on the fence in my garden
Ivan

Sponsored Links
the plug is already there permanently connected, the armoured cable is also there ready to be connected, i have put a weather proof switch next to the plug,

Ivan, with respect, What you say is very confusing.

Firstly please can you clear up your terminology.

A plug has sticking out pins, A socket has the holes that the plug goes in to.

Do you really mean "the socket is already there permanently connected"??

Assuming you have a permanently connected SOCKET you should spur from it to a weatherproof FCU or a conventional FCU in a suitable weatherproof box and from there to the lightswitch and on to the lights. Note if the circuit supplying the socket does not have 30mA RCD protection you should either supply RCD protection or use an RCD protected FCU.

This may be notifiable (some local authorities aren't bothered about garden electrics, some are - officially they should be!!) check with your LABC office.

How is the socket supplied? If it is already a non-fused spur from a socket circuit then you should not spur from it.

Spark 123 makes a good point, check how the socket is fed, if it is a spur you could put an FCU in circuit before it, that will alow you to run on from it as a short radial configuration. Alternatively you could loose the socket altogether and replace it with the FCU

Assuming you have a permanently connected SOCKET you should spur from it to a weatherproof FCU or a conventional FCU in a suitable weatherproof box and from there to the lightswitch and on to the lights.
Or just use a switched FCU...

56410%20GRY_158.jpg

Assuming you have a permanently connected SOCKET you should spur from it to a weatherproof FCU or a conventional FCU in a suitable weatherproof box and from there to the lightswitch and on to the lights.
Or just use a switched FCU...

56410%20GRY_158.jpg

Trouble is, the unit is no longer IP56 rated when open for access to the switch, so perhaps not a sensible solution for functional switching outdoors.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back