Wiring outside light from fitting in downstairs toilet.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I've got a problem wiring an outside light from my downstairs toilet. I've only got 1 set of cables in the toilet light, would this suggest that when it was installed that it was wired from the switch to the light, rather than from the light to the switch? If so, is it possible to take my live out the fitting and run it straight through in a choc block to my outside light, and just run an extra cable to the switch, placing it in the live of the switch and fitting?

Sponsored Links
Either your light or your switch probably has both live and neutral. So check if the switch has it. If so, why not take the power from there? It seems pointless to take it from both places.

Say I took the outside light to the switch and into the live like you say, surely the outside light would just work on the switch? I need a permanent live don't I, as the outside light has a movement sensor?

you need to unscrew the switch and see whats there.

your house might be wired on junction boxes or DI singles for all we know.

Sponsored Links
Say I took the outside light to the switch and into the live like you say, surely the outside light would just work on the switch? I need a permanent live don't I, as the outside light has a movement sensor?

Not if it's taken from the feed side as opposed to the load side?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back