spur and light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am wanting to put a fused spur from a double socket, this is to run an alarm system, the part p all sounds confusing anybody help please,
also if i want to put up an outside light 500watt with sensor, can i put into a plug then place in socket that way would this get me around part p???

Sponsored Links
horace1 said:
I am wanting to put a fused spur from a double socket, this is to run an alarm system, the part p all sounds confusing anybody help please,

the forum is full of info regarding part p look in the wiki, thats what its for

breezer said:
horace1 said:

the forum is full of info regarding part p look in the wiki, thats what its for

whilst i appreaciate all the info which i have read on wiki it is still nice to hear it from proffessionals and their experiences!

Sponsored Links
horace1 said:
also if i want to put up an outside light 500watt with sensor, can i put into a plug then place in socket that way would this get me around part p???

The alarm should be run from its own MCB in the consumer unit. And should NOT be on the side protected by the RCCB.

Reason.

While you are on holiday the RCCB is tripped and the batteries in the alarm system enventually run down. Your house then unprotected.

Bernard
Sharnbrook

Bernard, I think you are presuming Horace has a split load consumer unit, if so you are quite correct but it is not possible otherwise.I would not recommend plugging light into a socket on a permanent basis but at the end of the day it is your house.

jj4091 said:
Bernard, I think you are presuming Horace has a split load consumer unit, if so you are quite correct but it is not possible otherwise.I would not recommend plugging light into a socket on a permanent basis but at the end of the day it is your house.

Yes I was presuming a split load consumer unit.

Using a larger capacity battery (external to the alarm unit) is the other way to cope with prolonged loss of mains to the unit.

Bernard
Sharnbrook

that is assuming the panel can charge it.

most panels can't

breezer said:
that is assuming the panel can charge it.

most panels can't

Keep the internal battery. Use a 1 Amp diode ( 1N4001 from Maplins ) to prevent the alarm charger charging the external battery. If there is a long power cut and the internal battery gets down to the voltage of the external battery less the diode voltage drop the diode starts to conduct and the external battery takes over. Most alarms will work at 11 volts so a nominal 12 volt external ( actually 13 volt) less 0.7 ( 12.3 ) will be adequate to feed the alarm. A Schottky diode has a lower voltage drop.

The external can be charged with its own trickle / float charger.

Bernard
Sharnbrook

jj4091 said:

Why cant it be on plug and socket , i dont follow other appliances are!

breezer said:
who do you suppose wrote it then?

Why so arsey or did you write it all the part p yourself if you did i apologise if you didnt "ye knows too much" for your own good

you said that you wanted to hear a professionals opinion about part p, that is what you got.
You being a newbie do not realise how may times people ask the same questions, that is why i suggested you look in the wiki

as for why cant you plug your alarm in, think about it.

clue. any plug can be unplugged intentionaly or unintentionaly

breezer said:
you said that you wanted to hear a professionals opinion about part p, that is what you got.
You being a newbie do not realise how may times people ask the same questions, that is why i suggested you look in the wiki

as for why cant you plug your alarm in, think about it.

clue. any plug can be unplugged intentionaly or unintentionaly

It was the light plugged into the socket not the alarm!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back