Installing outside socket - Notifying the Building Control Dept

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all,

Its a fairly straight forward question which im pretty sure I know the answer to but id like to check first before I pay and get someone in.

I have a single socket in the kitchen which I am going to change to a double. From this i'd like to add a spur which will go outside to a fully weatherproof double socket which is literally the other side of the wall . Its straight forward enough but ive just read I'd need to notify the building control department to get it checked.............is this right?

On the back of that i have another question if thats ok....if the answer is yes I need to pay and get the work checked, what about running an extension lead from the indoor socket to outside (through the wall) with a 2 or 4 way extension lead housed in a fully weatherproof IP55 rated box?

You might have guessed its xmas light related lol but if I need to pay x amount to get it checked I might be able to find a sparky who could do it cheaper, but if i can do it myself and its safe then all the better......thanks in advance!

***Sorry forgot to add, its a fully RCD protected circuit. Were in a new build thats about 7 years old

Sponsored Links
Its straight forward enough but ive just read I'd need to notify the building control department to get it checked.............is this right?
No. The rules about notification were relaxed considerably in 2013, so your new outside socket would be notifiable only if you were putting it on a new circuit, which you're not.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back