OUTSIDE SOCKET

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI can anyone give me some advice pleaseis it possible to cable an outsde weatherproof double socket to an inside socket which has a 30ma tripping device will it give any protection can i wire straight into socket cu is mcb protected thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
I don't entirely follow what you are asking, a weatherproof double socket outside will need to be on some sort of 30mA RCD. This can be an RCD in the consumer unit, an RCD fused spur or a weatherproof socket with an inbuilt RCD. Please note that installing an outdoor socket is notifiable to your LABC under part P of the building regs if you live in England or Wales.

The inside socket which you want to connect to, how is it RCD protected?

Is it an RCD socket or is it RCD protecet by a device in your consumer unit

RCD socket:
CM4901.JPG

RCD in a C.U.
RCD.jpg

sorry not being to clear the item in ? is ip56 rated swiched 2 gang socket wheather proof not sure if uip56 means its protected

Sponsored Links
IP is referring to the ingress protection, IP65 means it is dust tight and protected against water jets from any direction. It has nothing to do with RCD protection.

INSIDE IS A 30MA PROTECTER WITH A TEST BUTTON TEST/RESET ON THE CU ARE MCBS I HAVE A 3 PIN PLUG WHICH FEEDS A pond pump i wanted an outside socket to plug into for the pond and was wondering if i could link both sockets sorry about caps

You have an existing socket with integrated RCD inside, like the picture RF lighting posted above (Top)? If so, you cannot add this socket to the mains supply from the back of it as the RCD protection is on the socket front, not the circuit feeding it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back