Installing outside wall socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I want to install a outside wall socket, can you please tell me how to go about doing this,

Sponsored Links
this is a part p job, or u can buy the plugin bodge kit from b&q. If u diy and spur off a socket use an rcd, but ur breaking the law unfortuunately

I'll tell you, though you need to be a competent person, and not a job for the DIY man.

Find socket on an outside wall that is covered by a RCD, turn electric off to that socket. Remove socket front, Take knockout from the back of the backbox, drill hole in wall to outside. Put grommet in knockout of box, push 2.5mm T&E cable through hole. Seal hole through wall up with silicone.

Terminate outside socket, ensure sealed good.

Terminate inside socket (all red & brown together in L, all blacks and blue together in the N, put earth sleeving on bare earth and put into the earth) and test...

Also, 2.5mm T&E can be bought from wilkinsons by the mtr, think its 50p a metre. Wickes sell the grommets in packs of 16 or so, and can pick up earth sleeving for about a quid.

Sponsored Links
I like to fit a switched fused spur to provide isolation inside the house for the socket too.
You would spur off a socket on the ring into the line side of the spur and run the outside socket off the load side.

I'll tell you, though you need to be a competent person, and not a job for the DIY man.

Find socket on an outside wall that is covered by a RCD, turn electric off to that socket. Remove socket front, Take knockout from the back of the backbox, drill hole in wall to outside. Put grommet in knockout of box, push 2.5mm T&E cable through hole. Seal hole through wall up with silicone.

Terminate outside socket, ensure sealed good.

Terminate inside socket (all red & brown together in L, all blacks and blue together in the N, put earth sleeving on bare earth and put into the earth) and test...

Also, 2.5mm T&E can be bought from wilkinsons by the mtr, think its 50p a metre. Wickes sell the grommets in packs of 16 or so, and can pick up earth sleeving for about a quid.

So what happens when there is a fault water gets into the cheap socket, causes the RCD to trip, power stays out till you fix it, or you start to get nusance tripping. I would fit an isolator inside the house. Either a 25A DP switch or a FCU.I would prefer the FCU in this case. This way you can isolate the socket.

Adam

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back