Installing radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just had a quote for installing 2 radiators. The quote includes 8 hours labour each for the installer and his assistant (i.e. it will take the two of them a working day). The pipework is already in place, as the radiators to be installed are replacing existing radiators, but I realise that there will be some additional pipework required. Does 8 hours each seem reasonable? I've no idea what is involved. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
More details please;Some pictures may help you get a better answer.

How big are the rads? Will the system be drained? What sort of system is it? etc etc etc.

More details - it is a closed (pressurised) system with a combi boiler and will need to be drained. One radiator is 210cmx30cm, the other is 90cmx70cm. I have no idea how mmuch work is involved, which is why I want to check I am not being ripped off before I go ahead. Thanks!

It may not take all day but would you be happy if he walked off to another job after 5 hours if he hasn't finished? Guess not, so he has to allow you a day and charge for it. Finishing early with nothing to do doesn't pay the bills.

Sponsored Links
Any decent plumber should be able to do those two rads with existing pipework in 4 hours( one man not two)assuming wooden not concrete floors.

I agree gasman, it ought not be 8 hours work- especially for two, but unless you've got another small job to go to ( or its a Saturday morning quickie!) what do you do? Lose half a days money? There's enough time spent on surveying, shopping, courses etc etc etc. If the customer is happy for you to turn up at short notice when you have a 'window' then all well and good. But who can work that way?

I work to a diary, arrange jobs by hours. Its up to me to keep myself in work, not overcharge customers or make a job hang out for longer than is required.

Nobody said anything about overcharging or hanging the job out. A job that takes just over half a day....... so it takes 5 hours, awkward filling....., now it takes 6 hours, are you lucky enough to have another job for an hour or so within easy reach.

It took me 2-1/2 days to remove two rads, chase a wall, find pipes in ceiling freeze, drop pipes in chase, run along skirting fit new rad. Then remove another rad, fit new rad 9 inches to the left and modify pipe work to suit, fill and test system.

So what's this, 3 rads out, 2 rads in and some pipe mods. How long is it going to take?

oilman, what you achieved in 2-1/2 days bears no resemebelence to the original post, its a pressure system and a change over on two rads with existing pipework.

DOes he have to go get the new rads and dump the old ones? Has he spent time with you discussing options? Sure a couple of bods could do the fitting in a couple of hours, but with the rest added - it's a day. Maybe find a plumber who doesn't use an assistant.

pressurised combi system so should be no trouble draining and filling, could even be done without draining by turning boiler isolating valves or just screwing down auto-airvent. The 90cm by 70cm should be a straight swap as this size is readily avialable and could be done by assistant. other rad will prob have to be a 200cm by 30cm as 210 not common now if avialable at all. No way a 8 hour job 3 hours max an thats pushing it with two guys and no way should you be paying a whole day because he doesn`t have otherwork or want to sit on his ass an relex in the afternoon. Get another quote

Thanks for the replies. I hadn't considered the time it would take them to purchase the radiators. The quote is EUR 1800 inc. VAT, that's about GBP 1250. Luxembourg is a pretty expensive place, even compared to the UK. Of the EUR 1800, EUR 600 is the cost of the two radiators themselves, plus there are other bits and pieces which make up another EUR 700, and labour is EUR 500. I've already removed one of the radiators. The new radiators will not be in exactly the same place as the old ones, but they will be very close - thus it isn't just a case of replacing one radiator with another, some pipework will be necessary. But the pipework is all exposed (there is no need to go into the floorboards or anything like that).

Thats it decided i am moving to luxemburg should be able to do two days a week and commute for 5 days rest . 600 euros for rads = £428 . even if these where both double panel rads they would only cost about £175 in britain with about another 30 quid for themostatic valves. If you lived somewhere sunny i would even offer to come over for the morning to fit them.

namsag said:
could even be done without draining by turning boiler isolating valves or just screwing down auto-airvent.

I like a man who lives dangerously...2 men working on 2 rads held on a vacuum :eek: . Personally think the charge is quite high, I get 70 minutes for a rad change on a combi system including valves.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back