Installing new radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone know how much time/money we should expect to pay for labour for installing a new radiator?

It's in a converted garage in a new-build house. Through the wall from the hallway which has a radiator already. The radiators use plastic/flexible pipes which feed into the wall.

I've only had one quote so far, but they wanted £250 just for labour (full day). Seems excessive to me... I was hoping to pay under £200 including parts. Is that realistic?

Sponsored Links
No, it isn't excessive. I charge £320 for a day's labour and I'm by no means expensive - I personally know several guys who charge in the region of £70-90 an hour.

If you've got 10mm pipes coming out of the wall in plastic, in the manner of many new build houses now, then you can't really tee off them as the system is designed to have one radiator per set of pipes, usually off a manifold. To do it correctly, new pipes need to be run back to the manifold (or main pipe runs where no manifold exists).

No, it isn't excessive. I charge £320 for a day's labour and I'm by no means expensive - I personally know several guys who charge in the region of £70-90 an hour.

If you've got 10mm pipes coming out of the wall in plastic, in the manner of many new build houses now, then you can't really tee off them as the system is designed to have one radiator per set of pipes, usually off a manifold. To do it correctly, new pipes need to be run back to the manifold (or main pipe runs where no manifold exists).
Thanks. Would you expect it to take a full day to do that?

Sponsored Links
Could well do, it depends on the layout of your house and pipework under the floors

Remember there's a great deal of difference between what is charged and what is earned. Plumbing & heating businesses have overheads which stretch to many thousands of pounds ever year, and these normally come out of the labour charge

The other day I was quoted £60 in labour for fitting a new radiator, but in a setup that sounds easier than yours (there are copper pipes just about 1.5m away and below the floorboards). Add another £40 for materials, and you still need to pay for the radiator itself.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back