Installing some spacesaver stairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Is there a set procedure to installing some stairs? We are having a joiner put some stairs together for us.

They are spacesaver stairs much like the one below (banister is on the other side)

At present I only have a small loft hatch so i need to cut out 800mm width (to match the stairs) and length of about 2000mm (apparently - is that recommended?)

I have a joist every 400mm so I will need to remove one of the joists so the stairs can fit in nicely.

What is the safest way to do this? and how will I attach the stairs as the joists run from the front of the house to the back which is the same direction as the stairs will be going.

Hope that is clearish :)

a

Sponsored Links
Not a UK site but http://www.doityourself.com/stry/atticladderjoist is pretty easy to follow for making the opening the correct size

Use joist hangers to support cut joists

JOIST%20HANGERS.jpg

Stairs can be fixed at top and bottom through the stringers/newel posts :)

thanks for a quick response.

That is fairly clear so to confirm, If I have joist 1,2,3 and I need to remove a section of 2.

I should first put some support planks across the joists. I then make the cut on joist 2 and remove the required piece.

I then some joist hangers and attach them to joist 1 and 3 inline with the cut made. I then place a joist in that space to create the header. I put another joist hanger in the middle to hang the joist 2 from it (like a T shape).

Do the same on the other side.

I then apply 2 joist hangers to the header peice I have just put in to hang the stairs from and fasten the bottom of the stairs to the joists on the floor?

That about right?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back