Installing steel beams advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just wondered if anyone might have some experience putting steels in. Here are a few things I'm not sure about

Is there a good/correct size of gap to leave between the top of the pad stone and the bottom of the beam to allow for the steel to be fitted in but also not so big that any tile or slate can be wedged in?
Is there a preferred thickness of tile to wedge in?
Do steel suppliers include the nuts and bolts?
Do you simply tighten the bolts as much as possible?

If anyone's got any advice regarding the above or anything else that would be great.

Sponsored Links
Gap between beam and padstone should be zero.

Wedge with natural slate not tiles. But often beams can be installed with just mortar. Wedging is not a prerequisite.

Suppliers can supply nuts and bolts if you ask them and specify what you want. They don't guess what you need.

The designer would normally specify torque requirements.

I feel like if you need to ask these questions then possibly you shouldn't be installing a steel beam lol

Sponsored Links
Do you simply tighten the bolts as much as possible?
No. If the tube spacers have no been cut square, or even if they are, excessive torque can distort the beams out of upright. Our suppliers provide nuts bolts and spacers. We have a pair to fit in the next few days.

Gap between beam and padstone should be zero.

Wedge with natural slate not tiles. But often beams can be installed with just mortar. Wedging is not a prerequisite.

Suppliers can supply nuts and bolts if you ask them and specify what you want. They don't guess what you need.

The designer would normally specify torque requirements.
In that case I think pushing the steel up with acros first and laying the padstone next then if necessary pushing a slate into the bed under the padstone would work well.
I've had 2 quotes from steel suppliers now. One mentions primer but not the bolts One is including bolts but no mention of primer.

No. If the tube spacers have no been cut square, or even if they are, excessive torque can distort the beams out of upright. Our suppliers provide nuts bolts and spacers. We have a pair to fit in the next few days.
Thanks. I'll see if I can find out the torque rating. I reckon the suppliers might advise too.

Thanks everyone. I'll try and do an update when the stuff arrives incase anyones interested or got an opinion.

Is it a northern thing? o_O
No,it's a common sense thing.

Architects specify bolting beams with spacers, but don't know why; builders put them in, but don't know why; building inspectors usually ask for them, but can't say why. Even some SEs include them, without thinking it through.

Bolting the webs together with a tubes and a few lengths of M12 bar from B&Q does not help the beams 'work together'. It also does not help them to share load equally and so equalize deflection.

BS 5950 (the design code for steelwork) states that bolting beams together in an attempt to provide mutual support is not allowed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back