installing tiles over tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have a bathroom & shower install to do, customer does not want to risk taking plasterboard
apart. have offered to place tiles on top of original tiles. what i am worried about is the weight
off both tiles on top of new build plasterboard. original tiles are approx 6inch x 8 inch x 5mm and new tiles are approx 18inx12inx 10mm . plasterboard must be 12.5 mm. does anyone know if the plasterboard will take the weight. ??????
if not, any suggestions apart from smaller secondary tiles.????
( don't know weight of tiles )
cheers for the help
paul

Sponsored Links
Should be if properly fixed , same with existing tiles. I would tell the customer you're happy to do it but at their risk as you can't guarantee the integrity of either the old tiles or the plasterboard

thanks chappers
i thought so, just had to check, me being to paranoid i expect.
what do you reckon is best adhesive to use on top of tiles,????
also one more question, i got to pack out to same level with under tiles, do u think 24hrs is long enough to dry before adding secondary tiles over top, ????
thanks for reply
paul

I'm not a professional tiler , you would have to check which adhesives were suitable for using over the type of tiles you have already, again no concrete advice but would have thought so, but you would have to check the manufacturers instructions with regards to setting times

Sponsored Links
thanks for honesty chappers, not much activity in this section don't you think ??
thanks for advice thou
paul

There are a few decent tillers on here that will advise you, it's always a bit quieter on the weekends.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back