Installing underground SWA for Electric Car charging station

I don't disagree with any of this John. I'm only explaining it's not always plain sailing.
I'm merely suggesting the need (in context) for exercising an element of common sense. If I dig a trench and install a cable in it, and produce an extensive set of photos (including measuring sticks/whatever to show depths etc.) which fully document every stage of the operation, then what deviations from 'plain sailing' can you seriously contemplate?
A simplistic comparison; a building inspector would expect to see the trench for foundations before filling with concrete, N'est-ce Pas?
Maybe, but particularly in the context of a pandemic, I would be far from surprised if the inspector said that he would be happy with a full set of photos (including measuring sticks etc.) which fully documented the state of the trench before filling.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
am hoping to save some time and money by putting in the wire myself.
Install ducting only, so the cable can be installed later.
Some EV points require more than one cable.
Guessing now about the type, size and number of cables for a device that hasn't been selected yet isn't likely to end well.
Ducts also provide an easy way to alter those cables in the future, which given the massive changes occurring with EV is almost inevitable.

Flameports suggestion would be my route to take but with one vital addition.
If you install the ducting, (at the correct depth with all the tapes, measuring sticks etc), also put 2 strong drawstrings in it from one end to the other. Helps to pull the new cable trhough and if sparky forgets to pull a new one in with the new cable you have a spare.
Local council recently dug a trench for some comms cables from the main college down to the new FE college about 1/3 of a mile away. When they were doing it they were digging a section, laying 4" grey pipe in and then filling it in and tarmacking over the top. There were a few bends in the route but when the telecom guys came to feed the cables in they found no draw wires so spent 2 days feeding a massive length of nylon rodding through first. They were not best pleased with the council workers.

If fitting just the duct, install some rope at the same time, if using the corrugated tube it just helps makeing pulling the cables a bit easier.

Sponsored Links
Ofcourse, theres always cowboys. But hes asking on here for advice, and if hes given best practice for burial and does that, then whats the issue?

Is there though? How do you know any of those existing circuits were installed correctly, and werent lashed up by some clown? I'm no electrician, but having lived in a few houses, theres always been some "horrors" with the wiring that i've had to rectify.

Infact your pics show exactly that, none of those installations are new, and if you hadnt been looking for rats, you'd never have found the shallow buried cable, and if you'd been invited in to do a board swap or whatever on one of those installs its unlikely you'd have actually inspected the cable routing.
All I'm saying is speak to the electrician first as he is the person taking on responsibility for the job. Yes sure a decent set of pics will satisfy many sparks but many more will not like it, especially if they have encountered problems in the past.

No obviously one would have no idea what the existing circuits are like, however when working on existing circuits one would not be certifying they have 'designed and installed'.

Correct the first pic is an old old service, however we were not looking for rat holes, we were attempting to run a another cable and the rods were not arriving where expected as they found the hole and exited. What is not apparent is the undergrowth, when that was taken the area was a mass of weeds, mostly nettles and the rods took some searching for.

The second pic the duct was, believe it not, less than a month old. The ducts had been installed by the customer in preparation for some fairly extensive building works, and the splitcon was installed at the same time. when we surveyed that is all there was in the whole of the duct system. By the time we were on site working, the alarm company had added the white cable which we found while pulling a cable through the pit but not into that particular duct. By the time we were adding a cable to that duct, the draw rope had vanished and the water and SWA had been pulled in. We tried the vacuum cleaner to get a draw string in but there was no sign of a suck which was when we discovered the water Tee and the SWA branch off, oh and of course the bundle of bunched up draw rope.

So it was totally new and provided for the job we were doing but the depth in the ground was all over the place.

Another job we did was a simple 2.5mm² 3C SWA to an outbuilding. The customer got a 50mm duct installed by the block paving drive installers. it was great, the duct ran from under the ground floor of the house right under the CU to inside the brick outbuilding. the gap between the ends being a clear run now covered with block paving of about 15m. A 25m coil of SWA was purchased and Henry sucked for all he was worth, making the string appear quickly. A draw rope was soon pulled in and the SWA attached, the pull was surprisingly heavy but the leading end didn't emerge before the tail was about to disappear. They'd managed to install a little over 25m of duct which went in a ruddy great arc.

install some rope at the same time

Use braided rope and not twisted rope. A twisted rope under tension will try to un-twist and by doing so will twist the cable. If it is more than one cable or a cable and a new draw cord the cables/draw cord will be wrapped around each other and it could be very difficult to remove one of then. A draw cord that is wrapped around a cable in a duct will not pull a new cable into the duct.

Use braided rope and not twisted rope. A twisted rope under tension will try to un-twist and by doing so will twist the cable. If it is more than one cable or a cable and a new draw cord the cables/draw cord will be wrapped around each other and it could be very difficult to remove one of then. A draw cord that is wrapped around a cable in a duct will not pull a new cable into the duct.
Until pulling fibre optics BT used twisted rope for smaller cables. Plaited and braided were very much the domain of the heavy cabling gangs.

Personally I normally use braided cord for exactly Bernards reasons if there's any distance involved, however for a run of 7m I wouldn't go out of my way to get some if there's already twisted rope available.

Thinking further, if the price difference isn't significant I'd go for the next size duct bigger than 50mm, if a second cable does need to be pulled into it later it will be much easier.

Thanks everyone for extremely useful feedback.

So, to recap, I think my best plan is to run a relatively straight trench down 2-3' (600-900mm) deep at about 12" (300mm) wide. I'll be installing 2x 50mm outdoor-rated PVC pipes in 2 different colours with pullstrings inside (thanks @conny for this very good suggestion).

For layers, I'll put down (from bottom of the trench upwards):
- sand at about 50mm
- warning tape (something like this: https://undergroundwarningtape.co.uk/product/electric-cable-below/ ?)
- PVC pipes
- 50mm sand over pipes
- hardcore fill at 150mm
- warning tape
- then soil (350+mm)

I'll photograph each layer with measuring sticks in the trench for verification, and leave markings on a small plate on front wall of house, another one inside garden boundary wall (thanks @oldbutnotdead). I take @flameport 's point re: wire, and will hold off on running the wire in the pvc until I've got hardware for the EV lined up. Am I leaving anything out? Do my depths seem about right?

Last question: I'll need to have a bend at the house end to get it up to the consumer unit. Should I just go for a gentle 90 degree bend across a 3-4 feet of pipe underground and then join to another PVC going up the wall into the house just under the ceiling?

Seems like a good use of extra aggregates, sand and mini excavator I'll have on the property in a couple weeks!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back