Insulate a steel box metal shed.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, My son has one of those metal sheds and as you can imagen, it is very cold inside it this weather :)

Is there a cheap and effective way to insulate it? Even if it could only afford to do a bit at a time.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Insulating part of it is a waste of time. You need to do it all or all the heat will vanish through the uninsulated part.

Why does he want a warm shed?

Tear it down & start again, or build an insulated shed inside of it.

Sponsored Links
Insulating part of it is a waste of time. You need to do it all or all the heat will vanish through the uninsulated part.

Why does he want a warm shed?

LOL guys.

He does a bit of part time work in it, he has a big heater but the heat dosent hang about.

Its freezing in it, thats why he wants it warm, your right about only insulating part, he knows that, he can only afford to insulate a part at a time

Thanks.

Hi, My son has one of those metal sheds and as you can imagen, it is very cold inside it this weather :)

Is there a cheap and effective way to insulate it? Even if it could only afford to do a bit at a time.

Thanks in advance.

what are the dimensions?

does he use anything that could conceivably start a fire?

One of the lads on my last big job has gone off to convert shipping containers into things like garden rooms. I went down a few weeks ago to take a butchers - they start by building a thermally isolated (from the outside) timber frame on the inside, stuffing it with tightly fitting PIR insulation (leaving an air gap at the back to the steel) then cladding with whatever is requested on the inside

For cheap and cheerful you'll want rockwool rather than PIR. Essentially he'll need to build a timber frame and fill the gaps between the timber with insulation. Some plywood on either side to hold the insulation in place and a vapour barrier on the inside to keep the warm moist air where it should be.

He can do that piecemeal, build the frame first then fill in the gaps as he gets bits of insulation off Gumtree.

OK, thank you for the advice, Its got a pitch steel roof too BTW.

Just seen this.....

Last edited:
That is a really expensive way of not insulating a steel unit very well. The cheapest way is to build an inner timber frame and use loft roll and plaster board. For a more expensive option, Plaster board foam adhesive celotex directly on to the walls and then plasterboard (attached the same way) on to the celotex. I wouldn't bother with more than 50mm. This will reduce the heat loss by about 80%.

The roof is the most important, then the walls, the floor also has to be considered.

It wont cost much more to build a timber frame insulated garden room.

its 8m x 6m, no, its 100% safe that way.

Thanks.
The problem with steel box profile buildings is stopping vapour getting to the inside face of the steel,and causing condensation.

the best way to stop it is spray insulation, but it’s messy.

the other way is a inner timber frame then insulate with say loft insulation - but make sure it’s really well sealed using a vapour barrier to stop vapour getting through.

Yes even if it’s done bit by bit, it will still make a difference - start with the difficult bit: the roof.

OK guys, thank you so much for all the advice, i'll past that on.

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Back