Insulate between eaves too?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just finished insulating my cottage out in the wilds of Scotland. I laid 200mm space blanket on top of the (very) old and (very) thin insulation, then boarded on top. Pipes and water tank duly lagged too.

However, as it gets so cold in winter, is there anything else I can do?

Is putting more insulation (wool? space blanket?) between the eaves of the sloping roof an option?

My neighbour just boarded over his eaves with MDF 'to stop draghts creeping under the tiles'. Is this enough?

Believe me, it's FREEZING when the wind blows out here. Any help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I suppose it might help, although mdf isn't a very wise idea. Best to add more insulation at ceiling level, once heats escaped past that level whats the point in retaining it? Better to reduce the heat loss through the ceiling in the first place. You should also try and reduce the draughts round the rest of the property keeping proper ventilation in mind.

You could always get yourself one of these fellas; http://www.betterlifehealthcare.com/view_product.php?prodID=4214 :D

Cheers Fred - that might be Plan B!

To give you some idea of what I found, most of the old 'insulation' consisted of old newspaper, with some carpet thrown on top.

you must leave adequate ventilation so unless you have vents in the tiles or airflow from eaves to eaves you shouldnt block off the eaves

Sponsored Links
considering your situation it might not be an ideal solution but you might want to consider using an alternative form of insulation. There are many on the market which might do a more effective job. I currently own an insulation company and we use ************************. Its one of the most effective forms. If this option is not open to you then you could look at the airflow around the home. See if there are any exposed gaps etc. Windows and door ways are particularly prone to drafts.

considering your situation it might not be an ideal solution but you might want to consider using an alternative form of insulation. There are many on the market which might do a more effective job. I currently own an insulation company and we use ****************************. Its one of the most effective forms. If this option is not open to you then you could look at the airflow around the home. See if there are any exposed gaps etc. Windows and door ways are particularly prone to drafts.
Spray foam insulation is the work of the devil, should be banned!

Saying 'Spray foam insulation is the work of the devil, should be banned!' without givng any reason why isn't very helpful. Please: post a reason?

I'm no expert by any stretch of the imagination and have recently begun to look into this.
There are comercially available 'general purpose slabs' that can be wedged between the rafters, (mentioning no names), also you must allow for a 50mm air gap.

Cheers
Ghazi

@ ghazi

This is an old thread, but anyway apart from that.....

If the 200 mmm has been properly installed, then little heat should be escaping into the loft and really, taking ventilation into account, the amount reaching the roof would be miniscule.

What you suggest is pointless and a waste of money/effort.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back