Insulate garage roof. Cold deck. How do I ventilate?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am planning in converting the back of my garage to a utility room. I need to insulate the roof, that is currently flat cold deck construction. I cannot get my head around how I can put ventilation in this type of construction. Can anyone point me in the right direction. Pic attached

View media item 62928 View media item 62929

Sponsored Links
Through the fascia board between the insulation and deck.

Either that full fill hard up to deck and a good vcr.

If I ventilate through the fascia, how do I finish off on the outside.

If I was putting on a new roof I would step the fascia away from the wall with a vent between the timber and wall - but this would affect the roof.

Further down the roof, the garage joins to the house, therefore I can only ventilate from one side (or through the top of the roof).

I think I might be better off to fill hard up, and use a vapour barrier. What is the best type of insulation for this, and how full does the cavity need to be to avoid condensation problems on the timber deck.

At the time that the garage roof needs replacing, I will probably replace the whole lot with a a warm deck, with GRP top.

Sponsored Links
Circular vents or flat roof vents. Or combination of the two.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back