Insulated plasterboard and behind kitchen units

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm new here so apologies if this post is somewhat repeated elsewhere (I can't seem to find the answer).

So I am having a full renovation done on my house (walls being taken out, new plaster etc etc.).

One of my bugbears in the past has been the outside walls being very cold (i.e. the front reception room and the room above).

I've looked into some options and realised there are many different ways to insulate the walls internally. The builder has taken the walls back to brick and has mentioned a few options. Ideally I dont want to eat into the space of the room too much (let say 5-7cm at most). I've settled on the following method.

1) New thin coat of sand/cement to the brick wall.
2) Attach timber battens to the wall and back with DPM
3) In between the battens, tightly fit 50mm insulation board (Kingspan foil backed etc.). Seal around the edges with foam and tape with electric tape.
4) Over this, place a vapour control barrier
5) 12.5mm plasterboard over this.

I will also treat the outside of the brick with ronseal etc. The builder has said there is no evidence of damp.

Does the above sound reasonable?

Also, I am doing the same in the kitchen. My Q here was how will I hang the units and sink? Do I need to take anything into account when hanging rads and anything heavy?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Suppose u could screw a sheet of osb over the batons before the plasterboard. Either that, or plan your screw locations first , and make sure there are battens in those places.

Sponsored Links
Batten it out with 10mm or so battens, drywall it with insulated plasterboard, job done :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back