Insulated plasterboard with ip65 spots. 2 questions

It would be worth contacting the manufacturer and asking what clearance would be needed. But personally I'd scrape back at least a 30mm clearance to allow for heat from the light. I'm not entirely sure why insulated plasterboard was used in a ceiling with a warm room above?

They are over power for the job, they do a 7w option too. But its too late now you have the holes. The 10.5w option is designed to be used with a dimmer. I have 4 x 4w in one of my bathrooms (8ft by 9ft) and its way over kill.

I will be changing my halogen spots in my open planned kitchen soon. Maybe I could use the 10.5w there and get new 7w for the ensuite. There isn't much to changing them. Is the 7w ip65 aswell for above shower areas

Sponsored Links
The GU10L2 was designed to comply with the L2 building regulations of that time, and there was a raised centre bit in holder, and dimple in the bulb, there was also a BA22d bulb with three instead of two lugs, so only energy saving bulbs would fit, however to get the bulbs with the dimple or extra lug cost a fortune, not sure when the idea was dropped but it was.

We have had this with building regulations a few times, not complying if you could not turn on bathroom fan without the lights etc, again now dropped. Typical knee jerk government response to a problem which did not really exist, other one was splitting central heating into zones, builders were fitting expensive hard wired zone valves, then it was stated TRV's were considered as forming zones.

I am sure standard GU10 fittings will work, but big question is for how long? I have LED bulbs all over my house, and had them for years, some have failed, but can count them on one hand, and I have a SPD fitted, and no local industrial estate likely to produce spikes.

Son with the lights shown in the kitchen has had many failures, but as to why they failed, that is the problem, lack of SPD, poor quality bulbs, not enough cooling, who knows. Maybe just luck or being unlucky, there is a report of a fire house bulb lasting over 100 years, never switched off, so luck must play a part.

It is unlikely a LED bulb will cause a fire, all that will happen is a short life.

Most houses I work on nowadays are all having insulation in all ceilings, downstairs and up. I get it for free so why not install it in my ceilings I say. I can feel a difference in every room I have done it in so far.
Then don't have downlights.

I will be changing my halogen spots in my open planned kitchen soon. Maybe I could use the 10.5w there and get new 7w for the ensuite. There isn't much to changing them. Is the 7w ip65 aswell for above shower areas
the hole is too big now.

Sponsored Links
According to your instructions the min is meant to be 90mm unless you already have the 7w lights?

According to your instructions the min is meant to be 90mm unless you already have the 7w lights?

I'll have to recheck it but I'm sure it was a 63 diameter hole. It is very tight in the hole.

4 x 10.5w is massively overspec for a bathroom (roughly = to 270w standard light bulbs). You need to check the data sheet for the install, but I suspect they require a gap between the unit and the insulation. You could swap them for 4w fire rated lights with a built in hood or scrape back the insulation to provide a gap.
Not really, a few years back a friend had a large bathroom refitted which included 8x 50W downlighters. it was never cold in there but had horrible shadows.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back