Ok, i am looking at using 100mm mineral wool in the walls and roof area. I don't need it to be really warm as it is a big storage area mainly, plus a work room. I may sub divide my area up to provide for an office, but not sure at the moment.

I have just bought all my PIR insulation for my extension and it is sat in the garden. Yes its gone up, but it was going up again this month so i bought last month. I shopped about again and it is only £100 more than my quote in May. 100mm sheets were £33 plus VAT.

Will be building soon coz the extension will be on hold, then i can shift all the stuff in the garage into the new shed, then knock down the garage. This needs to come down so i can get the extension finished next year as need to get a tele handler round the back.

Sponsored Links
Wow, £33 plus Vat is very good at the moment, where did you see that. Sounds like some great projects. By the way, regarding the ladders underneath the building, I only had this space because my site was sloped so had to raise the structure enough to be above soil level at the back. Obviously doing so eats into your allowed height so I wouldn't necessary recommend it, the ladder storage is just a silver lining!

Video 2 of the series detailing planning permission/permitted development and building regs. Not as thrilling as the last vid but useful hopefully to those looking to build their own garden rooms:

Latest progress has been adding fascias and doing the EPDM roof, will post pics when complete.

Sponsored Links
£56 for a 100mm sheet of celotex on TP's website. I paid £48 from Insulation express for celotex but they brought kingspan which is fine, up from £42 when I did my floor. Will have to think hard about the wall insulation when the time comes. Sounds like you got a great price.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
There is also the non foiled stuff available for £15/8x4 sheet.

that looks like a right deal Ian H, wish I'd checked Ebay more seriously now. Ah well.

Okay, update time- the roof is now done!

I attached 100mm timber to the periphery of the roof over the vapour barrier and then lay 100mm insulation:
IMG_7290.JPG IMG_7291.jpg
Above the front roof overhang, where insulation isn't really needed other than to support the OSB that went on top, I made a very nice jigsaw of offcuts from my floor insulation to use it up:
IMG_7295.jpg
I then overboarded with 11mm OSB to make the top deck (very stable I can tell you) and for the used nails/screws to attach the outer boards to the periphery timbers at 6 inch intervals.:
IMG_1492.JPG
I used these nails to fix the centre areas through the top to the rafters below. 180mm long:
IMG_1496.JPG
To find the rafters I used a pink string line from front to back over the OSB from where I could see the rafters underneath the overhangs. This was accurate about 75% of the time so I hammered them in to within a couple of cm and then check they weren't protruding underneath (i.e. missed the rafters). Ones that missed I could pull back out and reposition and the good ones I could just hammer home:
Screen Shot 2017-11-10 at 15.52.03.png
Here's the top deck finished with nails in:
IMG_1517.JPG
MY EPDM roof arrived which was so friggin heavy to get up I thought my fingers would fall off from gripping so hard. I unravelled at ground level and pulled one end up as I went up a ladder, then pulled it up a bit at a time:
IMG_1509.JPG
My anthracite grey UVPC fascia capping board arrived so I fixed them on. I left a 9mm gap at the bottom in order to fit soffit board into later on. To achieve this I used some 9mm ply pieces and attached to underside of the wooden fascia. I couldn't find UVPC capping board exactly the width I needed so I ended up using strips of 9mm ply to batten out the top so I would have a plumb face to attach my Sure Edge trims:
IMG_7319.jpg
The back edge which will have a gutter was a bit different as it needs to come out away from the fascia. Here I used a 25x50mm treated batten and one half of the Sure Edge drip trim:
IMG_7322.jpg

Last edited:
....The EPDM was spread out to relax this whole time to get rid of creases and to keep rain off the roof. I folded it back half way and rolled on water based adhesive to stick it down in stages, then did the other half. The 150mm around the edges are left clear of adhesive for a more permanent type of glue. This photo shows it relaxing, not stuck down but you get the picture:
IMG_1521.JPG
Lastly I trimmed off the excess EPDM and attached the Sure Edge edge trims x3 sides and 2nd part of the drip trim to the fourth side. This covered the 9mm ply strips nicely:
IMG_7350.jpg IMG_7349.jpg

The EPDM, adhesives and trims all came as a kit from Rubber4roofs-I'd highly recommend them. Loads of instruction videos. My EPDM is the 1.2mm Classicbond that has a 50year plus lifespan-how flat roofs have changed! Try 'SALE10' for 10% off.

Next task is to order windows and doors in the same anthracite grey grained style as the fascias and doors and get rid of this mess:
IMG_7321.jpg

***Oh, before I attached the top deck of OSB, I added more Tyvek to the fascias for extra protection and because I had it. Here's a nice pic of the build up:
IMG_7292.jpg

Last edited:
It's mint!!! I've got an uninsulated timber building in my garden that I need to improve next year. I'm looking forward to seeing how you cover the walls (y)
IMG_4439.PNG

That looks like a big building Ian, and a big garden!

I've not fully decided on the cladding but leaning towards Marley Eternit cedral click fibre cement boards mostly because it has a Class 0 fire rating which I need for the right hand side which is on the border with my mum's house. The back I may do in metal corrugated sheets.

I really like the look of new timber, like cedar or larch but not once it's silvered. I also don't want the upkeep of covering with Osmo oil every couple of years.
One thing is for sure and that is I'll be going horizontal with the cladding so I don't have to double up on the battens.

I may look at rendering it but unlikely as it's probably a skilled job.

Hers one more pic:
IMG_7352.JPG

I like the Cedral stuff. I've seen some double stuff called Fortec that covers quicker but I think it costs a bit more.

Quick Xmas update. last few weeks have involved me wheelbarrowing 3x 8-yard skips' worth of rubble from the previous garage and soil I excavated. A very good workout. Skips were £238 each where I am, so not cheap but saved by doing the hard work myself.

Here's a pic of the front now the rubble has gone and also one in the snow
IMG_7460.jpg IMG_7426.jpg

Windows and doors coming in January. Hopefully get electrics from house done soon too.
Thanks to anyone following along, have a good Christmas!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back