Insulating a 9" solid brick wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear all,
I wish to add insulation to the inside of a 9" brick wall, and propose using plasterboard with 1" of Celotex bonded to it. Clearly the celotex is fixed to the wall, leaving the plasterboard exposed for decoration, but I have had several conflicting tips on the fixing of it. My questions are:-
1. What preparation does the existing plaster need?
2. What do I use to fix/adhere the insulated boardto the existing wall?
3. Are there any other considerations, e.g. ventilation between the old wall and the insulation, vapour barrier, etc.?

Regards, MM

Sponsored Links
If you're only going for an inch the condensation risk shouldn't be as high, but it's still good practice to tape and skim the boards to control vapour permeability. You can find fitting instructions on the celotex application data sheet on their web site. But basically it'd be dot and dab adhesive with a couple of fixings in the middle, then foam along the bottom of the wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back