insulating a concrete garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am going to get one of the apex double concrete garages and use it as a workshop i want to insulate it and have seen the Airtec Double foil Insulation will this be enough insulation for the roof and walls?
Thanks
Dave

Sponsored Links
Concrete sectional buildings are a low end product and do not perform as some people might expect and therefore require extensive and sometimes costly work to bring them up to scratch.

Either spend some money on a higher spec building or lower your expectations.

thanks for the quick replies what would you advise the best way to insulate the walls and roof to bring it up to scratch

Sponsored Links
The practicalities of trying to fix any meaningful amount of insulation to a sectional garage, make it not worth while

Either build a timber frame one, or prepare to line it with a frame and insulate that

Thanks for your help woody i cant fit a wooden building as i originaly planed as building dept said as it is going against the neighbours fence has to be concrete,
i was going to batten out inbetween the concrete hollws insulate and board out same with the roof will that be a waste of time and money?
Thanks again

It does not have to be concrete, it has to be substantially fire resistant construction

The best thing you can do with a concrete garage, is to lay a single course of bricks just inside the perimeter, lay polythene dpm over this to make a 'mini paddling pool'. Build an insulated stud frame onto this wall and fill inside the 'pool' with insulation and floating chipboard floor. You will need a false ceiling too. Plus heating and ventilation.

Or just build a blockwork garage with a proper foundation.

I am now looking at battening walls with 2 x 2 and fixing 2" celotex to the walls and ceiling can i fit bubble wrap in the void of the walls?
I am also going to fit 2" Polystyrene into the concrete base will this work ok?
Thanks
Dave

Foil insulation is one of the new breed of insulation to enter the market place. It's significance, is it's ability to form an airtight seal, this is the remarkable achievements gained with passive house design, and is way ahead of the traditional market. The BBA certificate is certainly compliant with your original way of stated use and if you decide to go down this road, I can't help thinking that applying the material directly to the prefab concrete walls with batons applied on top of these.
Great consideration should be given to the assembly of the building, making sure a good tight seal is achieved all round.
Contact the manufacturer and explain what you propose, if this fits in with their parameters, I can't see you having a problem.

Here's the link to the BBA certificate site - http://www.bbacerts.co.uk/CertificateFiles/45/4565ps2i2.pdf

I'd like to be kept posted on this one, and good luck...pinenot :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back