Insulating a floating ceiling, is it a good idea?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've being living in an apartment for just under a year, and I've just found out my electricity bill (we don't have gas) is just over £4000 for the year. So obviously now I am looking at every possible way to save money on heating etc.

In terms of insulation, I've resealed the leaking window's, and we've replaced a drafty external door so hopefully next year it will be better.

My question however is this. We have a ground floor apartment in a converted mill (1850's) which has very high ceilings. The ceilings are actually suspended and there is a varying gap above them of about half a metre. There is no way for me to get above there (although there is access to above the bathrooms as these are normal height). But what I did notice is that where the windows are, there is a gap where you can see above the ceiling and a cold draft coming from these (well in winter anyway). Would it be a good idea to try and block this gap off (I was thinking of stuffing loft insulation up there then boarding it off with a piece of wood).

My concern is that maybe this has been left like this deliberately to prevent damp? Also we have spot lights in 2 of the bedrooms, would stuffing loft insulation above these be a fire risk (although I am going to change to LED bulbs ASAP) so guess heat build up won't be too much of an issue with these.

I have attached images with explain the problem a little clearer. I hope that this makes sense.

Many thanks for reading, and I really appreciate any thoughts or comments.

Darren.

View media item 46541 View media item 46542

Sponsored Links
darrude";p="2412497 said:
Hi,

My question however is this. We have a ground floor apartment in a converted mill (1850's) which has very high ceilings. has been left like this deliberately to prevent damp? Also we have spot lights in 2 of the bedrooms, would stuffing loft insulation above these be a fire risk (although I am going to change to LED bulbs ASAP) so guess heat build up won't be too much of an issue with these.

I Darren.

Trouble at `mill :rolleyes: Block the gaps but don`t cover the recessed lights - they won`t always be led`s . Like when you`ve moved to your whole top o` mill penthouse ;)

Sponsored Links
hi, Thanks for the replies, I'm going to insulate it this weekend, so hopefully we will see a small difference next year.

The values are based on metre readings unfortunatley.

Thanks,

Darren.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back