Insulating a floor in a Victorian house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was wondering how you go about insulating floors in Victorian houses. Under the floor, there is a dwarf wall, which sits on earth. On top of the wall sit untreated rafters, on top of which sits sheets of compressed wood bits. I know these type of floors must have air flow via the air bricks to keep them from rotting. How do you insulate such a floor? Thanks.

Kind Regards,
Shane Cook

Sponsored Links
I done mine last year when renewing the whole floorboards & joists.What I did was use insulation tape wrap round the joists and to the next joist along the bottom and so on in 24" section then put in roll insulation or slab type in between the joists and resting on the bottom tape.You could use a thin green wire (available from garden shop) or string,fishing line ! instead of tape etc. The drawback is, you would have to remove the floorboards.If you search on this forum you can insulated the top of the floorboards but that would mean higher floor level.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back