Insulating a GRP boat advice needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am self isolating on the boat due to ongoing problems with breathing and the problem is that the boat becomes cold very quickly once the heating is turned off at night.

The contruction is fibreglass over wood both inside and out then an air gap and internal panels, so which is best to use? Is it a rockwall type stuffed into black bin liners behind the panels or the foil covered type? Is there a difference in fire rating and would either need an air gap between inside fibreglass hull and the internal panels? There is no dampness, everything is bone dry if that helps.
Thanks and stay safe.

Sponsored Links
I’d go with rockwool into heavy duty bags with the open ends gaffa taped.....keep them nice and flat and they should slide into place quite well.
A bit like buoyancy bags really - with a different filling!
Here’s to your speedy recovery (y)
John :)

Cost of heating the thing is also something that I'd like to reduce as being 37 x 12ft and mainly open plan the costs are higher than expected tbh.

Sponsored Links
What kind of boat is this? Are there lots of sea cocks, you can't easily insulate the bilge area, most the heat will be going out the roof, companion way etc.

As it happens the yard owner found rock wall in black bags yesterday on another boat he is refitting whilst removing bulkheads and has given them to me so I'll try these first as they are free.
Thanks for the speedy recovery best wishes John.

Last edited:
What kind of boat is this? Are there lots of sea cocks, you can't easily insulate the bilge area, most the heat will be going out the roof, companion way etc.
It's a norfolk broads type cruiser found on rivers & canals so no sea cocks and agree about the roof.
Thanks

Ah well that is a bit easier, I take it, its in the water? do you have a carbon dioxide detector?

Yes it's in the water and the weather is gorgeous but due to the lockdown the river police keep stopping boats and "advising" us to return to the moorings!!
Two carbon dioxide monitors and smoke alarms fitted otherwise it wouldn't pass the boat safely certified tests.

I've not sailed since the 15th March. It does't really feel in the spirit of essential travel. Are you pottering up and down the the river then?

Its so easy to get holes in exhaust ducting which will finish you off pretty quick without a detector.

Wish I was, but not allowing boats out incase we get into difficulties and need assistance is the official line so the rivers are empty with all but a couple of yards shut so getting diesel, water or a pump out is impossible, luckily for me the yard I'm in is still manned in the mornings.

Yeah when you see pictures of coke cans being used to join exhaust ducting together you have to wonder WTF! :evil: We replaced the old Truman gas heating with a Chinese warm air heater this year with new ducting so I know that is good thanks. Sorry to say that I'm not a fan of flappy boats as they get in the way of us stinkies :)

could you not hang a duvet like a wall to divide the main area and just heat that
and just insulate that area

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back