Insulating a steel door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our holiday home abroad has a heavy steel stable-type door to the outside - the top is glazed but the bottom is steel sheet. This gets too hot in summer and too cold in winter - an obvious candidate for insulation.
Can anyone suggest what product would be the most efficient without being excessively bulky, easy to secure (preferably with contact adhesive), yet would have an acceptable finish (or be easy to paint)?

Sponsored Links
Some Celotex or Kingspan or similar (not polystyrene), maybe 25mm thick, you would need to frame it inside say a plywood box or similar, to decorate.

Last edited:
Thanks FMT, and a good idea to frame it or I guess the edges would look rough and be easily damaged.

Sponsored Links
Thanks again. I'll have to look in our local builder's merchant and hardware store (we have both nearby in Spain). At least I know what to ask for - tablero aislante - although they both speak a little English!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back