Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've started a massive upgrade on my house following finding out I had a cowboy builder who done my loft did everything wrong as he didn't fire proof and insulate the loft which is technically dangerous. Which the building control failed to enforce the regulations at the time and after forcing the council to make a visit after my findings which they didn't want to do. But after a few words a building control officer looked at sections of the loft which he then turned around and said everything is wrong and because the way the building was built you would have no choice but to take 90% of the building apart and rebuild which would mean only leaving the steels in place depending if they were installed correctly ofcourse however one steel is completely exposed in the storage hatch which the building inspector noticed that the steel had no fire proof paint on it. The Builders name is John W Slaytor and his latest company is www.loftco.co.uk Avoid him at all costs he is a cowboy and is dangerous so prison is a good place for him.

So I have no choice but to completely rebuild the loft conversion on the ground of safety but this time I am carrying out the work myself and supervising work contracted out.

In the mean time because of the level of work I will be doing in the loft its seems only right I bring the rest of the house up to date so I've started insulating the ground floor of the house. not only did I lift the floor and install insulation boards, I have a removed all the dust and rubbish under the floor on the concrete base which I discovered was holding a lot of moisture so better to have it all removed and now the concrete ground can breath I have made sure the air bricks are clear so air circulates underneath the floor which is important in a suspended floor.

I have also insulated the central heating pipes so my carbon footprint will be much lower and the environment will benefit. as well as my wallet in the long run I have made a video of some of my work let me know what you think.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thanks FreddieMercurysTwin for the comment I don't know if people would really want to hear me or my rants. but maybe I could look into doing a blog now you mention it.

I have also done my living room 70% of the ground floor has been completed now.

Sponsored Links
Looks like you've done a cracking job there. Good vids too. These are the sort I watch to learn how to do stuff. Right up there with the best ones. If I had to critique, maybe stop the fast forward motion at points just to say what you're doing - like how you're fixing the insulation - glue or just friction etc...

Always a pleasure watching someone take pride in what they are doing.

My How To Video I know its too long but I was trying to show the long process of what I had to do. Let me know what you think.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back