Insulating a wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a double brick wall without a cavity that I need to insulate.

To achieve the required U value I'm going to be fitting 50mm Celotex directly to the wall and then fitting 25 x 50 battens 600mm apart screwed through to the wall. The joints will be taped and the edges sealed with mastic to provide a vapor barrier. According to Celotex's information this will give me a U value of 0.35W/m2K.

My question is should I use tanalised timber or kiln dried? I currently have tanalised but it has been delivered wet and I don't think I can use it.

Help please as this is now holding up my build. :cry:

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Treated timber is preferred. It will dry off.

In fact, the design should allow for moisture to evaporate out of any void

Thanks woody

I've got the timber inside now so hopfully it will have dried a little before I use it.

I have had it suggested to fill the 25mm gap with jablite. Given what you have said I assume that I would be better to leave this as an air gap to allow it to breath.

Thanks again.

:D

Sponsored Links
It's often better to have no air voids at all, as this reduces the chances of interstitial condensation - ie condensation forming inside the wall

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back