Insulating Expansion Vessel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
CD1AFD55-27DD-4364-B9CC-831A9084D8D6.jpeg Hi folks , I have, depending on ones point of view,upgraded to an unvented system.
The boiler and cylinder has been sited in an unheated garage so with winter coming want to insulate everthing freezable.
Searching online I have failed to find any reference to expansion vessel jackets so do they exist or will I have to adapt something else to do the job?
Incase anyone comments on the manual bypass valve, its in hand:)
Thanks
litl

Sponsored Links
if the expansion vessel is operating properly it contains only air so no need to insulate

Sponsored Links
The expansion vessel will have some water in it as well as air, so good idea to insulate. If the wall behind it backs onto the heated envelope of your house, leave that side un-insulated, if not insulate all round. I'm not aware of any specific product, but you could box round it and fill the gap between box and cylinder with any sort of insulation.

The pipe (d2 pipe) coming out of the tun dish below the d1 pipe to the TPR valve look like 15mm. It should be at least one pipe size larger than the pipe going into the tun dish.

The installation must be notified to building control. This is normally self certified by the G3 registered installer.

The expansion vessel will have some water in it as well as air, so good idea to insulate. If the wall behind it backs onto the heated envelope of your house, leave that side un-insulated, if not insulate all round. I'm not aware of any specific product, but you could box round it and fill the gap between box and cylinder with any sort of insulation.

The pipe (d2 pipe) coming out of the tun dish below the d1 pipe to the TPR valve look like 15mm. It should be at least one pipe size larger than the pipe going into the tun dish.

The installation must be notified to building control. This is normally self certified by the G3 registered installer.
Thanks,I may end up building an insulated stud wall enclosure around the whole thing.
As for the pipe sizes, it has 15mm into the tun-dish and 22mm out to discharge.
Although Ive done shed loads of plumbing and vented systems over the years my OH, once she had read about possible dangers got a cob on so the whole unvented part of the system was installed by a G3 registered plumber .It has been signed off . I did however spot the gate valve bypass and have bought an auto one to fit in its place.

That discharge from the expansion relief valve on the cold inlet set doesn't appear to feed into the tundish either....all pretty rough to me.

That discharge from the expansion relief valve on the cold inlet set doesn't appear to feed into the tundish either....all pretty rough to me.
Plumber said a tun-dish there was to indicate the valve was leaking but if it did leak it was easily observed from the dishcharge tube outside ??

I have never seen an insulated expansion vessel, so for the others who have said it should be insulated, how do you insulate an expansion vessel that is fitted behind a boiler as the majority are ?????

As far as I can see nobody has said anything about insulating the pipework. I would attend to that before worrying about the expansion vessels. The unvented cylinder will be pre-insulated.

As far as I can see nobody has said anything about insulating the pipework. I would attend to that before worrying about the expansion vessels. The unvented cylinder will be pre-insulated.
I have no concerns about the pipework as off the shelf solutions are available
I have never seen an insulated expansion vessel, so for the others who have said it should be insulated, how do you insulate an expansion vessel that is fitted behind a boiler as the majority are ?????
As the type of EV you are refering is in such close proximity to the boiler would that not be protected by the frost stat?

I have no concerns about the pipework as off the shelf solutions are available

As the type of EV you are refering is in such close proximity to the boiler would that not be protected by the frost stat?
so every boiler has a frost stat ? I only do this for a living so you must know more than me

so every boiler has a frost stat ? I only do this for a living so you must know more than me
Sorry but I foolishly assumed that if a boiler was installed in a vulnerable location by a competent/ conscientious plumber, they would have made sure the boiler was adequately protected??..silly me!

if the expansion vessel is operating properly it contains only air so no need to insulate

I think your first statement here gives the OP some grounds to question your knowledge/competence TBH...

@lostinthelight Yes it probably should be insulated in an ideal world, but I don't believe proprietary solutions are available. Hot water cylinder jacket maybe?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back