Insulating Garden Shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I understand this may be an impossible question to answer but here goes....

Sick to death of the misses drying out our clothes in the house as it makes the walls cry and can see the breeze blocks sometimes :O

So I thouyght we'd invest in a tumble dryer, enter problem 1.

We were after a small condensor tumble dryer to fit under a certain/only space in our kitchen, but problem is there only normal size and can only get a small vented (no good) at it's on the wrong side of the house (semi)

So I was thinking of putting it in our small shed, but was going to use some insulation boards (celoex 50mm?) inside the shed and hopefully give it some warmth.

This is because it looks like tumble dryers require a min temperature because of forst, but we'd be getting a vented one but still looks like they need an ambient of atleast 2oC.

Without knowing the temps in winter, by guessing would you say the insulation boards will do any good? or is it simply not going to be enough to keep it atleast 2oC.

Obviously if it's low minus numbers it won't help at all, but if outside is say -1, -2 would the boards be enough to keep it to 2oC?

Sponsored Links
Don't wish to be down on you, but your on a trashing to nothing there. Sorry. My sympathies.

Insulation won't do much if there's no heat to keep in. I presume you aren't fitting a rad! Personally I'd just buy a cheap dryer and see how it goes. What they don't like is damp so make sure the shed is as damp free as possible.

Sponsored Links
Insulation helps to retain heat.

Unless there is a source of heat, all it will do is help to slow down heat gained from warmer days.

If you stick enough thermal mass in there, it might be possible, but you would need a good deal of insulation. For prolonged period of times you would still need heat.

Still worth insulating if you are going to stick a heater in there, as it will massivly reduce the amount it will need to be on, if you only want to maintain low temperatures.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back